Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th September 2005, 05:54

Ken Kolenovsky is on a distinguished road
Identification of Fw190G-3 Please...

Hello all! I'm new to the forums so please bear with me. I have recently purchased a Fw190G-3 model kit from Dragon and I have found absolutely no documentation about this aircraft. It has large emblems on the wings and fuselage, a white band on the fuselage, and black letters FP and DN. All that the instructions say about it is that it is from Salerno in 1944. Does anyone know anything about this particular aircraft? I am looking not only for some info on this plane, but on any other types of planes (markings, emblems, lettering) that may have stationed there (Salerno?) as well. I will try to upload the box pic for reference. Thanks for any help you may be able to give!
Old 28th September 2005, 11:13

Seaplanes will become famous soon enough
Re: Identification of Fw190G-3 Please...

Your FW 190G-3 had the Werkenummer 160016 with Stammkennzeichen DN+FP and was built in a series of 550 FW 190G-3 by Focke-Wulf Sorau (ncc) or Marienburg (nat). The aircraft served with III./S.K.G. 10 when left behind on September 9, 1943. It was reported as 100% destroyed by German troops, but apparently it was not. The aircraft was taken over by USAAF as EB-104.

Being no expert on the FW 190, I hope this information is correct. Can anybody verify???
Old 28th September 2005, 19:34

Thanks, Seaplanes! I've been looking everywhere for some info like the type you have given me. Now, I can start researching the III./S.K.G. 10. I was kind of skeptical about the 1944 date in my instructions and you certainly affirmed that for me. Once again, thank you. Now, you wouldn't know of a good book on the III./S.K.G. 10 detailing their base of operations, additional planes, etc?

Last edited by Ken Kolenovsky; 28th September 2005 at 21:00.
Old 28th September 2005, 23:04
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

The date is reaffirmed in "Warprices" which has relatively extensive coverage of EB-104.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 29th September 2005, 02:33

Thanks Ruy! I've been searching for books or publications which could aid in the identification, but so far I haven't found anything specific. If anyone in the general community knows of a good source for the III./S.K.G. 10 in Italy, I would appreciate knowing the title.
Old 29th September 2005, 04:39
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

The title is War Prizes by Phil Butler. It shows various examples of captured aircraft, including German, Italian and Japanese, that were brought to Allied countries during and after the War. ISBN 0-904597-86-5

Ed
Old 29th September 2005, 18:04

Thanks Edwest! I'm tracking that book down now.
Old 29th September 2005, 19:13
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Midland Counties was offering them at bargain prices not so long ago. However be warned that although EB-104 is relatively well covered it is still only a couple of paragraphs.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;