Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 10th June 2013, 17:37

GranddaughterofLuftwaffe is on a distinguished road
Re: 11th Staffell 11/NJG5

Chris,
well there seems to be two(2) Otto Tillacks. Otto Karl Tillack is my Grandfather and was killed on April 11th, 1944 in WEiswasser O/L . The other Otto was killed in Bussloo Holland . We are trying to find out where MY Grandfather is buried....I can`t seem to find anything. My Father was there in Welzow Germany in 1999 and was led to a mass grave with no dates just names on it. There he found the name Otto Tillak...NOT Otto Tillack. So we are wondering if that is the other one and NOt my Grandfather....I should write another book I`m telling ya lol
Char
Old 10th June 2013, 17:38

Maximowitz,
How would I coontact Peter?
Thank you,
Char
Old 10th June 2013, 17:41
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Peter Spoden has not been on this site for some time. In any case he was another Gruppe & Staffel so unlikely he would have known your Grandfather. As to where he is buried, German War Graves & WASt should be able to help-you have been given their links in another of your postings

Last edited by Chris Goss; 10th June 2013 at 17:44. Reason: More
Old 11th June 2013, 14:04

Maximowitz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranddaughterofLuftwaffe View Post
Maximowitz,
How would I coontact Peter?
Thank you,
Char
A mere idle thought I'm afraid. As Chris quite rightly posts above Peter served in a different Gruppe entirely - night fighter wings were vast contructs with a huge turnover of personnel, so the chance of him knowing your Grandfather is frankly astronomical.

It would be like me picking a name at random from your local phone book and asking if you knew the person.

As noted the German War Graves and WASt are the avenues for further research.

I wish you the best of luck with it.
Old 11th June 2013, 15:18
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Quote:
As noted the German War Graves and WASt are the avenues for further research.
Probably the only avenues this late in the game. The two parties concerned were both ORs (enlisted) and the only wartime information that survived for them is in the possession of WASt.

L.
Old 11th June 2013, 16:15

Thank you Max and Larry and i have filed an application /request. My Father and i will await a response from the WASt and again thank you for any help you have given us so far.
Char
Old 11th June 2013, 16:17

Re: Looking for ANY and ALL information on Unit 11/NJG5 that my Grandfather Otto Karl Tillack was in.

Horst,
Thank you so very much to taking the time to help me
Char
Old 12th June 2013, 19:17

DR40eghs is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for ANY and ALL information on Unit 11/NJG5 that my Grandfather Otto Karl Tillack was in.

Dear all and especially Char(lotte),

according to the "Namentliche Verlustmeldung" (i.e. the loss report issued by the unit and sent to the German supreme command), the "next of kin" person named is:

Ehefrau
Charlotte Tillack
Plümkenau O/S

At this period of war (spring 1944) it was still good practice, that the burial took place at the home-town of the deceased, i.e. the living place of the closest relative - in this case where the wife (+child/children) lived. If not married, where the parents lived.
This ist true for all dead, who died inside the "Reich" (Germany in its frontiers 1937 + Ostmark/Österreich/Austria + Sudentengau + Westmark/Alsace-Lorraine) and until ~ October 1944.

So ... a good place to search for the grave is: Plümkenau O/S (O/S = Oberschlesien / Upper-Silesia) - since 1945 called
Radomierowice, Gmina Murów, Województwo opolskie, Polska/POLAND . (50° 55′ 49″ N, 18° 1′ 55″ E)

If the wife only temorarily lived in Plümkenau, and if the family home address (also named as last home address on the loss report) was:
Wierschutzin, Krs. Lauenburg, Pommern ... since 1945 Polen,
this is the second best place to search. Here the polish names: Wierschutzin=Wierzchucino, Lauenburg=Lębork, Pommern=pomorskie, Polska/POLAND . Or uses the geo-coordinates: 54° 47′ 15″ N, 18° 0′ 13″ E

Good luck !
Most Kind regards,
Uwe / Karlsruhe, Germany
Old 13th June 2013, 02:09

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!
We have been tring to translate all of the German documents and are still trying to.....WOW!!!! The loss papers have alot of info on them and thank you SOOOO MUCH!!!!!
Char
Old 13th June 2013, 17:00

I wonder if there would be a list of military gravesites in those areas for the Luftwaffe who were buried there? i know I`m asking alot of questions, but my Father and i are just trying to pin point where his Father/ my Grandfather is buried......
Char