Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th August 2018, 00:09

ZhekaB is on a distinguished road
Air battle over East Prussia in October 1944

Hello everybody, I’m interesting in October 1944 air battle over East Prussia. May be somebody could tell me is there any issues on this topic on english or german?
If I am right, I calculated that the following list of German units took part in these battles in October:
Stab, I., III./JG52;
I., III./JG51;
II./SG1;
Stab, II./SG3;
Stab, I., II./SG4
AT staffels: 10.(Pz)/SG1; 10.(Pz)/SG3; Stab IV.(Pz), 10.(Pz), 13.(Pz)/SG9
More dificult to figure out bomber and recon planes. But they didn’t played significant role in battle. Also difficult question is participation of Bf.110/210. Maybe smb have additional information?

Information for attraction to topic from different soviet documents:
1) In information sheet of 1st Air Armee VVS is mention about interrogation of commander of 6. II/ SG 1 «Ганс Глаус» (smth like Hans Glaus or Heinze Glausse). He was downed by AA fire near Eidkau 20 Oct 44. I could not find anyone similar in “Luft officer career” data on M. Holm’s site or in other topic sites. May be pilot changed his name on interrogation.
2) 21 Oct by 4th Motorifle brigade’s gunfire (due to it’s documents) SW of Gumbinnen was shooted down Fiesler Storh. The body of XXVII A.K.’s commander - general Helmut Priess was found in wrecks. 4 AOK docs confirm this information.
3) Gen.-maj G. Zaharov, commander of 303 IAD, in air combat in 09 October 1944 near Tilsit had claimed damaged Bf.109. This day was full of air fighting so it would be very difficult to find possible vis-à-vis, but maybe smb has any information
4) The most interesting question is meeting of new model of Fw.190 in two combats at 16 october by pilots of 18 GIAP near Gumbinnen. They described it like Fw.190 with in-line engine or twin-star engine (probably meaning its longer nose). Cpt. Seregin went into dogfight with one and was surprised its performance and maneuverability which was not worse that his Yak-3. He had 7 front-attack with new Fw.190 and couldn’t got him into tail. So, the combat ended w/o result. On subsequent days pilots of 303 IAD hadn’t met these “fokkers”. Obviously this mention was about Fw.190D, but who was piloting these fighters? May be test-pilots? Also maybe it was a mistake. But, IMHO it is a strange coincidence with real sign of new model of Fw.190 which hadn’t been in use on East front before.