Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th March 2013, 03:15
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking RK photo of Hptm Wolfgang Lippert, Gr Kdr of II./JG27, with his RK Victory Scoreboard

Hello,

For Lippert's profile series for the EoE Project, I'm seeking a photo of him posing with the scoreboard of his a/c, which would have displayed at least 13 victory tabs, and possibly some balloons (he shot down five), on or around 24.9.40, when he won the RK. Hptm Wolfgang Lippert was the Gr Kdr of II./JG27. Just a photo of his tail with his scoreboard at that time would also be most useful. I'm well familiar with photos of his scoreboard on WNr2023 that were recently posted on this board.

I'm also seeking a photo of him with his Bf109E during August, 1940, when he was still the Sta Kap of 3./JG53. He may have still been flying Yellow 4, the a/c that he flew during the WC/FC, for which I have good photos showing it displaying 4 victory tabs.

Who can help?

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 12th March 2013, 04:59
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking RK photo of Hptm Wolfgang Lippert, Gr Kdr of II./JG27, with his RK Victory Scoreboard

Hi Larry,

I think this is not the one you're looking for ... I don't know, maybe maybe not.
But since you're talking about balloons; If it's not: who is the "owner" of that one?

Regards, Franck.

Last edited by ouidjat; 1st July 2013 at 16:35.
Old 12th March 2013, 08:47
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Seeking RK photo of Hptm Wolfgang Lippert, Gr Kdr of II./JG27, with his RK Victory Scoreboard

Franck,

That one is a total mystery; I've never seen anything like it before. I'm just as interested in determining the pilot and unit for this one as you.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 12th March 2013, 10:04
Alter Hase

Larry,

I had a "last hope" with you ... Still a mystery then. Sorry for Lippert, can't help you.

Regards, Franck.
Old 13th March 2013, 20:51
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Hello,

The very unique scoreboard posted by Franck merits some serious attention. It appears that the best match is Oblt. Richard Leppla, Sta Kap of 3./JG51, although "Mickey" Sprick of 8./JG26 also has some possibility. The key to resolving this is the dates for the victory claims, which, unfortunately are just beyond the edge of clarity. Does anyone know the source of the original of this photo (probably eBay) and/or have a fully legible copy of it? This would make an excellent subject for an EoE Project a/c Color Profile. This aircraft appears to have a light yellow rudder from the Aug-Sept, 1940 period of the Battle of Britain. Surely someone who did so much balloon busting would have received some mention in the contemporary Luftwaffe propaganda press.

Who has information that would help us confirm the identification and documentation of the full a/c markings?

Regards,

Larry Hickey

EoE Project Coordinator
Old 14th March 2013, 08:20
Alter Hase

Hi Larry,

Not bad, not bad at all:
1st a Dutch
2nd & 3rd Frenchies
4th English
For both Sprick and Leppla
5th English for both - Spitfire - except that the 5th on picture seems to be a French!...
But ... the 5th is written 2?-6 or7 or 8-40 Hence no French possible hence the painter used wrong colours or with different density ...
So, Leppla? (Sprick got his 5th on 2/6/40) when on picture we have Two numbers for the day.

And yes it's coming from eBay. January 2010 at least.
Old 14th March 2013, 10:05

Simon Pirec is on a distinguished road

Hello
If we consider that Dutch roundel have top left third painted blue and victorys Nr. 2,3 and 5 have outer ring painted in same hue so they should be English and only Nr. 4 French. So maybe we should serch for an ace with victories against the next adversaries:
Nr. 1 Dutch
Nr. 2 and 3 English
Nr. 4 French
Nr. 5 English
Old 16th March 2013, 12:31

udf_00 is on a distinguished road

Maybe Ltn. Leonhard Göttmann, Stab III./JG 3 then.
Old 16th March 2013, 14:04
Alter Hase

Hi Guys,

Simon and Perec: Balloons; only English? For me that matches better.
Last victory for Göttmann on 24/08/40 (and only one in Stab, before he was in 7. Staffel and he died on 7/9).

Sounds perfect. Göttmann then? Pity we don't know markings.

Cheers, Franck.