Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 23rd October 2014, 19:57

Oberst is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Shmittfire!

http://captured-wings.wikia.com/wiki/EN830

Has anybody determine whether this unique kite was repainted in standard Luftwaffe camouflage? Or was the standard Spitfire camo patterns copied and oversprayed Luftwaffe Grey colours? I'm fairly confident that yellow was used on the rudder, elevators, and engine cowl, along with a light blue on the underside. Thanks in advance!
Old 23rd October 2014, 20:47
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Re: Shmittfire!

It has a single dark green on the uppersurface. This was a common treatment of captured aircraft that were not to be used for clandestine operations.
Old 23rd October 2014, 20:59

Hello, thanks for your fast response. If you look at other pictures of this plane on the internet, you can clearly see camouflage pattern resembling Spitfire Vb on the upper wings, even a 2~tone on the hull. This is after the conversion of the DB605. So I do not believe it's all green.
Old 23rd October 2014, 22:27

Andy Mitchell will become famous soon enoughAndy Mitchell will become famous soon enough

Here is a link to an article on this Spitfire from the May 1966 edition of Flying Review International.

http://www.wiki.luftwaffedata.co.uk/...ing_Review.zip

Andy Mitchell

LuftwaffeData Wiki including the history of Aufklgr. 122
Old 23rd October 2014, 22:35
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

Fine, then it retained its original colours at the time of these photos. Repainting to German colours (other than in patches to obscure the original markings) but retaining the original pattern would be unique, and require some explanation beyond "what it"?. However, I still would expect to see yellow on the underside - it would still appear as a Spitfire and thus require positive identification as a captured example.
Old 24th October 2014, 16:53

I wasn't being rude, but you can clearly see a camouflage pattern on the wings, ans remnants on the fuselage.
Old 25th October 2014, 01:21
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hello,
Well it has been a while since I looked at my copy of that issue.
The one shown above has some sort of water stain.
What I see from my copy is The nose section has been painted in a light colour (yellow ?) as has the elevators and rudder. Codes "CJ+ZY" have bee applied to sides of fuselage, upper wings "C+J" port and "Z+Y" on stbd. With "C+J" on lower stbd and "Z+Y" on lower port wing.
From what I see of RAF type camoflage it would seem that it does seem to show through the German dark green on the upper surfaces, perhaps this is just due to the exposure conditions when the photos were taken. Or maybe the hurried re paint had resulted in the German Green been thined or washed out in flight thus allowing the RAF como to show through by the time the photos were taken ?
Alex
Old 25th October 2014, 02:03
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point

Btw, the Spitfire that was modified with DB605 engine was originally Spitfire V EN830 OF 131 Squadron which was shot down over the isle of Guernsey in the Channel Islands on November 18,1942. The pilot was PO Bernard W. M.H. Scheidhauer who was later executed by the Gestapo in the Great Escape.

An account from the book "The German Occupation of Jersey" by L.P. Sipel

"November 18 1942...British plane (an old type Spitfire) receives damage in a flight over Guernsey and makes a forced landing here in the grounds of Dielament Manor,Trinity, The pilot, a young Frenchman, whose home is in Brest was eventually taken prisoner, but several people procured souvenirs from the plane before the Germans arrived."
Old 25th October 2014, 04:26

Excellent, thank you gentlemen for possible explanations and additional information.