Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18th October 2007, 14:38

Christian Schulz is on a distinguished road
Question Luftwaffe unit emblems - "Battle of Britain" era

Hello everyone!

I am currently preparing the Luftwaffe emblems for Maddox Games's next generation flight simulation and want to apply the right emblems in the right spots (as far as that is possible). However there are some issues which have arisen which I cannot answer ony my own and so I am turning towards the combined knowledge of this message board for help.
Currently I am using the following literature as sources:

"Jagdfliegerverbände Vol 4/I"
"Jagdfliegerverbände Vol 4/II"
"Jagdwaffe"-Series
"Luftwaffen Embleme 1939 - 1945"
"Das Jagdgeschwader 51 - Eine Bilddokumentation"

Unfortunately these do not answer all questions. They are:

1./JG 26
According to "Jagdfliegerverbände 4/I" the Staffel exchanged its "grasshopper" emblem for the new "Eagle" badge. Was this emblem applied to both sides of the fuselage? Are any photos available which show location and dimensions of the emblem application?

4./JG 26
Is it true that the "Tiger's Head" emblem was applied to the port side of the fuselage only?

6./JG 26
Are there any pictures available showing the application of the "Capricorn" badge to the starboard fuselage side?

Stab III./JG 26
Was the "four-leaf clover" badge applied to both sides of the engine cowling?

8./JG 26
Was the "Adamson" emblem applied to both sides of the fuselage or just the port side?

I./JG 51
Is it correct that the "Chamois" Gruppe badge applied to the port fuselage side only?

1./JG 51
Was the "Mickey Mouse" badge of 1. Staffel carried on the port fuselage sie only?

2./JG 52
I have been unable to determine when the "Rabbatz" emblem was handed over to 5. Staffel. Has there been any "definite date" or did the emblem disappear bit by bit from the Staffel's aircraft? I have various photos showing 2. Staffel aircraft (with black numbers!) carrying the Gruppe badge (as opposed to e.g. Bf 109 E-1 "Red 14" of Uffz. Leo Zaunbrecher, bellied August 12 1940).

4./JG 52
Was the Staffel badge applied to the starboard fuselage side only? I seem to find only photos showing the starboard - nothing from port.

5./JG 52
Was the "Rabbatz" badge applied to both sides of the engine cowling (practice of 2./JG 52 would indicate that). Are there any photos available showing a thusly marked aircraft from 5. Staffel?

III./JG 52
"Jagdwaffe - Attack in the West" has a 9./JG 52 aircraft sporting the "Winterfeld Wolf" (as Bernd Barbas called it) badge on the engine cowling. However all pictures of III./JG 52 (again only 9./JG 52) from their admittedly short performance against Britain show a complete lack of markings. Did all of III./JG 52 delete the badge or was that limited to 9./JG 52? Are there any photos of aircraft belonging to Stab III., 7. or 8./JG 52 available?

That's the first batch of questions with more to follow (as the Kampfflieger, Zerstörer, Aufklärer and "misc units" are still to be made ). Thanks in advance!