Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines > Jagdgeschwader 1, 2, 4, 5 & Sturmstaffel 1 Chronicles

Jagdgeschwader 1, 2, 4, 5 & Sturmstaffel 1 Chronicles by Erik Mombeeck

Old 8th September 2015, 20:22
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: JG 2 Volume 4 (1943) in sight

Not intended to offend Mr. Mombeeck, but I think a significant issue here is the marketing, and especially one segment of marketing: availability. After all, one Finnish publisher/author consistently sells 500 + copies of his quite expensive (50 euros) books in a few years period even though the books are in Finnish. But, he knows how to market his books.
Old 9th September 2015, 19:35
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no intention of offending anyone, but it is common, especially regarding specialized subjects, for authors and publishers to not know how to get potential buyers the information they need.

As a reader of highly specialized aviation books, I find myself finding some more by accident than any other way. And the titles can be confusing. I recently got a copy of "The History of Big Safari." Does anyone know what this means? The dark gray cover - ! As an assistant art director at the book company (fiction) where I work, my first thought was, "This is totally unacceptable." Had it not been for my ability to spot some aircraft shapes on the cover (barely), and getting a detailed description, I would never have it. It was not even mentioned on a specialized web site for such a subject.

Get a facebook page for your company or yourself. Go to specialized web sites and tell them what you are doing. And no, "352 pages, photos and maps" is not enough information. Not enough.

And titles like "Red Roses of the Field" (not a real title), will not let me find your book, especially if it is about aviation, much less World War II.

Ed
Old 12th September 2015, 18:16

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
But, he knows how to market his books.
I understand what you are saying, I know Erik worries about getting the word out too, but even so " ..JG 2 1943.." is a pretty explicit title I'd have thought. I'm not of the opinion that language is a barrier either - I mean I haven't actually read any of the text yet, I'm just blown away by the photos! (again!) - more 2./ JG 2 night-fighters anyone ?