Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 10th September 2010, 19:46

Rasmussen is on a distinguished road
Re: New Fw 190 book and new publishing company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morten Jessen View Post
- Whether the book is worth it's price is hard to answer from my very biased position, so I suggest you download the free sample from http://airwarpublications.com/articl...s/book-samples and in general keep updated on reviews and comments I hope to appear on this board in the near future.
The free sample was very interesting for me because I checked the RL 8/20 file too and found some other facts than mentioned in the Appendix I.

01.06.1943, W.Nr.0900:
the call sign mentioned there was "TJ + GL"

07.06.1943, W.Nr.0881:

instead "?" there was mentioned "TD + DS"
regarding the file RL 8/20 the place was San Pietro (09.50 am) and not Castelvetrano because it was an flight from Castelvetrano to San Pietro, reason: not extended main gear

13.06.1943, W.Nr. 0135:
footnote 4 said that in RL 8/20 was mentioned W.Nr.0136 but I had notice for me the W.Nr. 0135 like in the other documents too

14.06.1943, W.Nr. 0899:
in the appendix is mentioned the pilot Gerhard Krüger but I have found the pilot Oblt. Ernst Schneider

I'm correct here or I had misreaded some documents?

Best wishes
Rasmussen
Old 11th September 2010, 09:40

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough

Hello Rasmussen,

Many thanks for your comments on the sample page from Appendix I of our ‘Focke-Wulf Fw 190 in the Battle for Sicily’ book.

RL 8/20 is a very interesting file, but we found a number of typos and errors in it. As a result, we felt that it was best used in conjunction with other primary sources, and if more reliable primary sources had different information, we would generally use that information rather than what was found in RL 8/20.

Please find our comments on your posting below:

--------------------------------
> 01.06.1943, W.Nr.0900:
> the call sign mentioned there was ‘TJ + GL’

We have two good primary sources that confirm the markings of this aircraft. An Allied captured aircraft report (in NA AIR 40/2159) has the following entry: “Fw 190 A-5/U8 W.Nr 900 <A + I, original markings ?? GL”. On page 203 of our book a photograph clearly shows this aircraft marked with ‘<A + I’. On the starboard side, the ‘GL’ and half of the ‘J’ had been overpainted by the ‘<A’ and III. Gruppe bar.

--------------------------------
> 07.06.1943, W.Nr.0881:
> instead "?" there was mentioned "TD + DS"
> regarding the file RL 8/20 the place was San Pietro (09.50 am) and not
> Castelvetrano because it was an flight from Castelvetrano to San Pietro, reason: not
> extended main gear

Regarding the aircraft code, I think that there might be a typo in your posting, because RL 8/20 actually says ‘TD + SS’ (which is confirmed by other sources as the correct Stammkennzeichen). ‘TD + SS’ may be the correct marking for W.Nr 0150 881, but unfortunately we could find no other source to confirm this, so instead we included a question mark in the loss list entry.

RL 8/20 says that it was indeed a transfer flight from Castelvetrano to San Pietro. Morten and I made an error in saying that the transfer flight was from San Pietro to Castelvetrano.

However, we are quite certain that the loss location was Castelvetrano, not San Pietro. In BA-MA RL 8/20, the place (ort) for the loss is given as Castelvetrano. Two other sources confirm the location. Genst.Gen.Qu.6.Abt. says the incident occurred at Castelvetrano. A strength return in NA HW 5/262, CX/MSS/2698/T19, says that at 14:00 on 7 June 1943 there were two III./SKG 10 aircraft crashed at Castelvetrano, but none crashed at San Pietro. We are not sure why the pilot crashed at the same airfield from which he took off.

Also, Landeklappe means landing flaps, so he crashed because the landing flaps did not work.

---------------------------------
> 13.06.1943, W.Nr. 0135:
> footnote 4 said that in RL 8/20 was mentioned W.Nr.0136 but I had notice for me the
> W.Nr. 0135 like in the other documents too”

There was a typo in our notes from RL 8/20. The original page from the RL 8/20 document does indeed say W.Nr 135, so you are correct. Thus all sources agree that the Werk Nummer for this loss was 135. However, we believe that RL 8/20 has a typo when it says that W.Nr 135 was marked ‘Black N + ’, and we follow what is said by the Genst.Gen.Qu.6.Abt. loss entry, ‘Black M + ’.

---------------------------------
> 14.06.1943, W.Nr. 0899:
> in the appendix is mentioned the pilot Gerhard Krüger but I have found the pilot
> Oblt. Ernst Schneider

Morten and I have page 40 of RL 8/20, which includes the following: “13.6. 1600 UHR: FW 190 A 5 / U 8, W M R 899, TAKT. ZEICHEN : WEISZ A.-
AUFTRAG: ANGRIFF AUF SCHIFFE VOR PANTELLERIA.-”

Unfortunately, for some reason we do not have page 41, on which other details (such as the pilot’s name) appear. Perhaps you would be kind enough to share this page with us?

We used other sources to fill in the gaps. The Genst.Gen.Qu.6.Abt. loss list stated that a III./SKG 10 aircraft with the W.Nr 0899 suffered 30 per cent damage in a crash-landing at San Pietro after an operation on 13 June 1943. The III./SKG 10 war diary (RL 10/361) reports only one such incident in mid-June, with the entry for a mission between 10:05 and 11:15 on 14 June 1943 reading: “Lt. Krüger nach Erledigung des Auftrages Bruchlandung in S. Pietro, unverletzt.” We felt that the Krüger incident was the same as the one in the entries for W.Nr 899 in the Genst.Gen.Qu.6.Abt. records and RL 8/20.

Oblt. Schneider flew missions with III./SKG 10 in April 1943, on 6 and 26 June, and then again in late-August 1943. However, there is no record that he flew any missions on 13 or 14 June 1943, when the incident involving W.Nr 899 happened.

I hope that the above answers your queries. If you like, I can email you copies of the sources that I have mentioned as evidence for these incidents.

All the best,
Andrew & Morten
Old 11th September 2010, 10:58

Rasmussen is on a distinguished road

Hello Andrew,

many thanks for your answers. They were very interesting. I checked the RL 8/20 file because I'm in search of informations for Erla a/c's - so other informations are "waste products" but I collect these too (not as copy).

Because I check every RL-file (uninteresting and interesting files) in BA/MA side by side I'm quite sure that I had the information regarding Schneider from RL 8/20 but like I wrote I didn't make copies. In the next year I'm in BA/MA again for 2 weeks and I check it again.

Best wishes
Rasmussen
Old 11th September 2010, 13:27

eslima is on a distinguished road

It is a great launch, on my shopping list!.
Old 15th October 2010, 15:27

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough

Hello,

We’ve started to receive some very positive reviews and feedback for our ‘Focke-Wulf Fw 190 in the Battle for Sicily’ book. A page has been created on the company website with some of the positive comments by Christopher Shores, John Beaman, Peter D. Evans, Kurt Braatz, and Robert Forsyth.

The new book also recently received a very favourable review from Adam Norenberg.

For those interested in obtaining a copy of the book, ‘Focke-Wulf Fw 190 in the Battle for Sicily’ is available only via the company website, www.airwarpublications.com.

We’d also like to mention that we’ve added some new ‘book-related material’ to the company website, this being a detailed four-page document listing Allied ships sunk or damaged by Axis aircraft in the Mediterranean theatre in the period 14 May to 2 September 1943. Also available in the ‘book-related material’ section is a complete and detailed listing of all known Fw 190 missions in the period 14 May to 2 September 1943.

All the best,
Morten Jessen & Andrew Arthy

Air War Publications
Old 18th October 2010, 12:37

superbee is on a distinguished road

Will there be a dealer in north america stocking this title?
Old 18th October 2010, 14:35

Morten Jessen will become famous soon enough

Hello superbee

Currently there are no plans for dealers in the US. You can obtain a copy of the book from www.airwarpublications.com (Visa, Visa Electron, MasterCard, Diners Club and other cards are accepted).

Please let me know if you have other questions regarding purchasing a book.

All the best,
Morten Jessen

Air War Publications
Old 20th October 2010, 16:56

laurent14 is on a distinguished road

Hi Andrew and Morten
I can't see the "add to cart" function on your site so it's impossible to checkout an empty basket!
Old 20th October 2010, 17:24

judyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morten Jessen View Post
Hello superbee

Currently there are no plans for dealers in the US. You can obtain a copy of the book from www.airwarpublications.com (Visa, Visa Electron, MasterCard, Diners Club and other cards are accepted).

Please let me know if you have other questions regarding purchasing a book.

All the best,
Morten Jessen

Air War Publications

Hi Morten;
We are interested in being one of your dealers here in the U.S. Is there a reason you are not planning on dealers?....Let me know,
Thanks so much,
Judy
Eagle Editions Ltd.
Old 20th October 2010, 20:05

Morten Jessen will become famous soon enough

Hi Laurent and Judy,
Since you both reached me via the web site contact form, before I saw your posts here, there is no need to reply here as well.

In case others have problems purchasing the book via the web shop please contact us via the web site or on email, info@airwarpublications.com, as we may not pass by here every day.

Thanks for your interest in our book.

All the best
Morten