Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 14th March 2013, 18:11

Steve Smith is on a distinguished road
Chidgey "lost" Pilot

Gents,
A real long shot here.
I have a Sergeant Chidgey (Pilot) on 218 Squadron between April 1941 and August 1941. (Sadly the ORB does not record his initials or service number)
In late July / August 1941 he is given leave to get married (not confirmed) sadly while on leave his crew are killed while being skippered by Wing Commander J L H Fletcher (August 3rd 1941 Hannover) He does not reappear in the ORB again.
My question is in two parts :
Can anyone help / advice where I can look / locate a marriage cert for this sergeant pilot.
There is an A/S/Ldr Edward John Chidgey DSO DFC of No.35 (PFF) Squadron recorded in the LG, I am not saying this is the same man but the surname Chidgey is unusual. Anyone on the forum research No.35 Squadron, I know that S/Ldr Chidgey passed away in 2006.
I have had no luck with the contact addresses for No.35 Squadron Association.
Any help appreciated

Steve
Old 14th March 2013, 18:20
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Chidgey "lost" Pilot

According to this:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

the only Chidgey that got married in your timeframe was Charles E
Old 15th March 2013, 16:15

Observer1940 is on a distinguished road
Re: Chidgey Pilot of 35 Sqn

Hello Steve

I presume this is the London Gazette Tuesday 11th July 1944 you have found?

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu...pplements/3293

Acting Squadron Leader Edward John CHIDGEY, D.F.C. (131540), R.A.F.V.R., No. 35 Sqn.
One night in June, 1944, this officer was captain of an aircraft detailed to lead an attack. on important railway sidings in France. During the outward flight adverse weather was experienced. On arriving over the target, Squadron Leader Chidgey, despite heavy rain, descended to an altitude of 1,000 feet, in order to ensure the success of the attack. He then made five bombing runs across the objective, unperturbed by anti-aircraft fire to which he replied with his guns. Squadron Leader Chidgey on this occasion displayed a, high order of courage and determination. Throughout his operational career, this officer has taken part in numerous attacks on enemy targets and has invariably performed his allotted tasks with outstanding gallantry and coolness.

Now you have a Service number, you will probably be able to get more returns.

There was also a:-
Actg. Wt. Off. 348526 Ernest Sidney Milton CHIDGEY (46580).

Regards Mark
Old 15th March 2013, 17:04

Steve

I am not sure if this helps you identify your Acting S/Ldr as the gent of interest. However, a search of the Western Daily Press June 1944 indicates that Edward John Chidgey R.A.F.V.R., was born at Bristol, educated at Luckwell School and the Merchant Venturers' Technical College, Bristol. At the time of his Award he lived at Raynham, Kent.

3rd November 1944
Incidentally, a Sgt Maurice Chidgey R.A.F.V.R., aged 25 also of Bristol (120 North Road, St Andrews), father was John G Chidgey, had been killed on Active Service in Italy the previous month and had been educated at Sefton Park and North Bristol Schools. Before the war working for Price, Walker, Croxford and Company Ltd.

Mark
Old 15th March 2013, 17:53

dp_burke is on a distinguished road

Seems to be established over on rafcommands

rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?14528-Chidgey-a-quot-lost-quot-Pilot
http://www.ww2irishaviation.com
Old 15th March 2013, 20:14

Steve Smith is on a distinguished road

Hi Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to post. Yes this is the man I am after, after a real tough 1st tour with No.218 Squadron he went on to become a highly respected PFF pilot with No.35 Squadron. He was I believe also awarded a DSO.

Mark, again thank you.

Regards

Steve
Old 17th March 2013, 13:31

Hello Steve

I see that you are focussed on an individual and his Squadrons and Units etc and realise that RAF Station HQ ORBs do not always exist for OTUs, but presume you have tried any Station ORBs that do exist?

It is amazing what you find in Station and Group Daily Routine Orders (DRO) too, sometimes only the very mundane routine matters, to funerals, to postings, leave and even Courts Martial charges and outcomes in some!

Mark