Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 29th January 2016, 01:16

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
Re: Last Ritterkreuz

Chris,

my father was awarded the Ritterkreuz on May 8th ( or 9th) 1945, although this has been disputed / contested by some RK-experts - for which I don't give a damn, either way. Documents of the award exist as well as the original of the KC. From a list I have seen I remember that he was amongst the last five or ten recipients. He belonged to 2. Pz.-Div. though, as he chose to volunteer for the Panzertruppe in 1940 fearing that he would come too late if he joined the Luftwaffe as a pilot - a fear that was unfounded. He only got his PPL in the sixties of the last century.

Don't know whether this helps. But anyway -

Best

Jochen
Old 29th January 2016, 02:09

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

Good example, Herr Doktor. The reason I asked for clarification on dates is that many RK historians deny claims by recipients made during the Doenitz period, including higher grades of the RK. There were a couple of Frenchmen who apparently got it in Berlin right at the end of the war, but these were probably only entries in the Soldbuch, Henri Fenet being one of them.
Old 29th January 2016, 02:57

schnellmeyer is on a distinguished road

I met Henri Fenet at the 1 Panzer Korps reunion in Austria back in 1990 and he wore his 1957 version of the RK at the meeting . He got this from Wilhelm Mohnke who confirmed this when I had contact with him .
Old 29th January 2016, 10:55
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Herr Jochen PRIEN,

Firstly, I am a real fan of your work, really. (I only do have the full set about the JG53 History, though; but am interested on the JG 27 work of yours, since Obfw. Wilhelm Baumgartner seems to be from the same root of my Family, back in Switzerland...but this is another story).
Secondly: I know you wrote several books about the Luftwaffe, etc...but have you thought about writing about your father? I did not know he was a former veteran and highly decorated...Excuse me being curious, but had you talked about the war, I mean, when you were a kid, etc.?....or was it a difficult subject to talk about? Do you see, I have met only 4 former German WW2 veterans here in Brazil, one of them being Martin Drewes, back in 1996, one JG 27 airman shot down in 1945...a Ju 88 trainee pilot (who is still flying gliders) and a former NJG 2 and NJG 1 technician from Siemens that helped install the FuG 212 in the very first Nachtjagd aircraft (almost all of them passed away)...and this was Always a difficult topic to talk about. Of course, I am not a relative...so, they may have been suspicious, etc....

I understand this is an OFF topic question and is not related to the thread itself, but as a Latin American, I would like to understand if, during the 50's or 60's this was talked about, within the families of veterans...or if this was "verbotten" topic...

Again, please do let me express my admiration for your work and the tribute you did to all those Luftwaffe airmen, writing about their units and memories.

Adriano S. Baumgartner
Old 29th January 2016, 15:54
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Baumgartner View Post
Herr Jochen PRIEN,

Firstly, I am a real fan of your work, really. (I only do have the full set about the JG53 History, though; but am interested on the JG 27 work of yours, since Obfw. Wilhelm Baumgartner seems to be from the same root of my Family, back in Switzerland...but this is another story).
Secondly: I know you wrote several books about the Luftwaffe, etc...but have you thought about writing about your father? I did not know he was a former veteran and highly decorated...Excuse me being curious, but had you talked about the war, I mean, when you were a kid, etc.?....or was it a difficult subject to talk about? Do you see, I have met only 4 former German WW2 veterans here in Brazil, one of them being Martin Drewes, back in 1996, one JG 27 airman shot down in 1945...a Ju 88 trainee pilot (who is still flying gliders) and a former NJG 2 and NJG 1 technician from Siemens that helped install the FuG 212 in the very first Nachtjagd aircraft (almost all of them passed away)...and this was Always a difficult topic to talk about. Of course, I am not a relative...so, they may have been suspicious, etc....

I understand this is an OFF topic question and is not related to the thread itself, but as a Latin American, I would like to understand if, during the 50's or 60's this was talked about, within the families of veterans...or if this was "verbotten" topic...

Again, please do let me express my admiration for your work and the tribute you did to all those Luftwaffe airmen, writing about their units and memories.

Adriano S. Baumgartner
Adriano, you ask some interesting questions, but I think this needs a new thread. Why don't you cut and past your thread into a new one>
Old 29th January 2016, 20:14
Alter Hase

CJE

Thanks Jochen,

It goes beyond my imagination to figure out that while Germany was crumbling down some bureaucrats were still typewriting the citations - "business as usual" style! - and dispatching (by courrier?) the medals in their boxes to the frontline units.
Old 29th January 2016, 23:36

Hauptfeldwebel Paul Wilhelm was awarded the KC on May 5th by Heeresgruppe Mitte.
Old 30th January 2016, 02:06
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Excellent, VtwinVince! Because M. Chris CJE did not specify Luftwaffe in his Post No. 1 at the beginning of this thread!

L.
Old 30th January 2016, 20:55
Alter Hase

CJE

Larry, you make my day!
Old 30th January 2016, 22:26

Major Helmut Voegtle, Kommandeur II. Gebirgsjaegerregiment 99, was awarded the RK on June 1st, and is listed in Fellgiebel's work, so apparently an actual award.