PDA

View Full Version : Luftwaffe Bergebataillon VII.

Martin Gleeson
14th September 2008, 20:56
Hallo all,

Can anyone plese tell me what type of unit was Bergebataillon VII ? From the name it seems like a recovery unit, perhaps like some of the RAF Maintenance Units.
Also does anyone know where Bergebataillon VII served from 1940 to 1943 ?

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

leonventer
15th September 2008, 09:47
Hi Martin,Can anyone plese tell me what type of unit was Bergebataillon VII ? From the name it seems like a recovery unit, perhaps like some of the RAF Maintenance Units.Yes, it was either a supply or maintenance unit, since it's listed as a "Versorgung"-type unit in Christian Zweng's "Die Dienststellen, Kommandobehörden und Truppenteile der Luftwaffe 1935-1945, Band 1".

Also does anyone know where Bergebataillon VII served from 1940 to 1943 ?Here's the complete entry for this unit in Zweng:Kommandeur Luftwaffen-Berge-Bataillon VII
*Winter 1943/44
Maj. Schobinger, Viktor -- 13.09.1943
From the above, it appears that the unit was only in existence from late '43 to early '44, but the entry might just be incomplete.

Hope that helps,
Leon Venter

Steve Coates
16th September 2008, 00:40
The unit was certainly in existence through mid 1944 when it was based at Muenster-Loddenheide as it took part in recovery trials with an Fa 223 at that time. Schobinger was also in command during that time as he's recorded as a passenger in a number of flights in the Fa 223 V14.

I assume this query has been prompted by the appearance of a number of interesting photos on E-Bay.

Martin Gleeson
16th September 2008, 01:42
Hallo Leon and Steve,

Thank you both for your assistance with my somewhat unusual query.

Yes Steve, you are correct ! I found those two photos last night by accident. Please don't ask me to try to post links for them ! I will leave that to Ed West.

Apart from the very-stripped down nature of what seems to be a Fairey Swordfish; what struck me as very odd was the total lack of a paint finish, never mind markings !

My thanks again,

Martin .

Steve Coates
16th September 2008, 18:51
There are certainly soem interesting shots on offer with this seller. Here's a link for anyone who wants a look -

http://shop.ebay.de/merchant/engelbubu-fotos

No prizes for guessing which photo I was interested in. Unfortunately bidding's already gone beyond my meagre means.

I guess there's also a possibility that the early war photos were taken whilst the individual was part of another salvage unit.

ChrisMAg2
17th September 2008, 11:33
FYI:
Bergebataillon = Salvage unit. Their duty is to salvage or recover damaged/ lost equipment for recycling, repair and/or reuse. All arms of the Forces had such units.

Martin Gleeson
17th September 2008, 23:59
Hallo Christian,

Thank you for confirming that.

Regards,

Martin.

Andreas Brekken
18th September 2008, 01:07
Hallo!

A Berge-Batallion was a unit which main task was to recover aircraft lost or damaged.

I am currently in Freiburg (BA/MA) and one of the things I am studying here this time are reports from several units of this kind with regards to recovery of both German and Allied aircraft.

Regards,
Andreas B