PDA

View Full Version : Reported interception Do 217 with guided bomb

Hans Nauta
27th December 2008, 10:44
Dear all,

While going through the ORB of 541 (Photo Reconnaissance) Squadron I read a report about a spoof attack on a Do 217 carrying a guided bomb.

Although I'm not familiar with specifically the subject guided bomds, I thought it was interesting to upload the ORB entry for those who are interested in this subject.

Best regards,
Hans Nauta

Brian
27th December 2008, 14:09
Thanks Hans

Most interesting. I record one similar incident in my book 'Diver! Diver! Diver!' but investigation was unable to determine what the PR Spitfire pilot - Flt Lt D.A.J. Draper of 4 Squadron - actually saw on 18 September 1944, although he, too, reported what he thought was a Do217 with a V-1 mounted above the fuselage. He carried out a dummy attack whereupon the V-1 was released. This occurred near Ijmuiden.

V-1s were only carried by He111s (operationally) and were underslung.

In addition, one of my German historian friends suggested this would NOT have been one of the several experiments we now know to have been flying towards the end of the war, since such tests were not carried out in operational areas. However, with this 'latest' report, it would seem that something unusual was observed by both pilots. Fascinating!

Over to the experts, please!
Cheers
Brian

mjbollinger
27th December 2008, 21:34
Hans,

Many thanks for posting this. I'm not sure what to make of it. As described, this could not be a Do 217 carrying an Hs 293 or Fritz X, at least not in a conventional manner. III./KG 100 was active that day but their attack mission was off the Gironde estuary. I hope someone else can clear up the mystery.

Marty

Nick Beale
27th December 2008, 22:23
IIRC there are photos of Do 217s used as test beds for ram jets (or pulse jets), with the jet mounted above the rear fuselage.

mjbollinger
27th December 2008, 22:55
Nick is correct.

See here: http://tanks45.tripod.com/Jets45/Histories/Do17/Do17.htm

Marty

Snautzer
27th December 2008, 23:46
IIRC there are photos of Do 217s used as test beds for ram jets (or pulse jets), with the jet mounted above the rear fuselage.

This one couldn't be released.

edwest
28th December 2008, 03:46
For what it's worth, there is an illustration of a Do 217 with a top-mounted Hs 293 on page 241 of Geheimprojekte der Luftwaffe, Band III.

Ed

Pawel Burchard
28th December 2008, 10:26
Such a thing maybe?

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/images/me328-1.jpg

Pawel Burchard
28th December 2008, 10:33
...or similar such as DFS 228