PDA

View Full Version : KG1 Losses 7.9.40

steve sheridan
15th November 2010, 17:42
Hi can anybody confirm the crew names and functions of 3x Heinkel 111's lost 7.9.40 following sorties over London.

Most of this information isnt available in the book " The Battle Of Britain Then And Now". I dont know whether subsequent information as come to light since this title was first published , has i have only a few names from the book.

Best regs,
Steve.

Matti Salonen
15th November 2010, 18:27
This is all I have:

1940-09-07, 3./KG 1, He 111, Bei Dieppe, Absturz infolge Vereisung. Bruch 100 %.
F Fw Honsberg, Hans, tot
BF Uffz Schulze, Woldemar, tot
BM Uffz Lenhardt, Wilhelm, tot
Kr.Ber. Bildber.Wart Schwatlo, Helmut, tot

1940-09-07, 4./KG 1, He 111H-2, 2745, V4+FU, Bixschoote, Absturz. Bruch 100 %.
F Hptm von Neumann, Rolf-Paul, tot
B Olt Brand, Walter, tot
BF ?, tot
BM Uffz Köhn, Erwin, tot

1940-09-07, 6./KG 1, He 111H, London, Feindbeschuß. Bruch ? %.
Oberstlt Kosch, Benno, verletzt
BF Fw Hölscher, August, verletzt (gestorben 1940-09-12)

Matti

steve sheridan
15th November 2010, 20:14
Hi Matti, thats excellent, more than i have!
Many thanks to you my friend.

Kindest regs,
Steve.

Peter Cornwell
15th November 2010, 22:22
3./KG1 Heinkel He111H-3 (6864). Crashed near Berneval, north-west of Dieppe, due to wing icing during sortie to attack London Docks. FF Fw Hans Honsberg, Flgr Helmut Schwatlo (Kriegsbildberichter), BF Uffz Waldemar Schulze, and BM Uffz Wilhelm Lenhardt all killed. Aircraft V4+AT 100% write-off.

4./KG1 Heinkel He111H-2 (2745). Elevators badly damaged by AA fire and fighter attack over London and spun into the ground at Bixschoote on return flight. FF Hptmn Rolf von Neumann (Staffelkapitän), BO Oberlt Walter Brand, and BM Uffz Erwin Köhn all killed, one crewman believed baled out unhurt. Aircraft V4+FU 100% write-off.

6./KG1 Heinkel He111H. Returned to base damaged by AA fire and fighter attack during sortie over London. BO Oberstlt Benno Kosch (Gruppenkommandeur) badly wounded - admitted to hospital in Amiens, BF Fw August Hölscher also badly wounded - admitted to hospital in Amiens where died September 12, rest of crew unhurt. Aircraft 10% damaged - repairable.
This aircraft formed part of the 6 Staffel Führungskette on this sortie.

steve sheridan
16th November 2010, 22:08
Evening Peter, many thanks for your contribution which puts more meat on the bones! so to speak.

Would it be much trouble to post similar for the losses 11.9.40?
I see i have a number of crew names missing from the losses here also!

Kindest regs,
Steve.

Peter Cornwell
17th November 2010, 10:16
Hello Steve,

As it's you ...

Stabsstaffel KG1 Heinkel He111H-3 (5606). One engine disabled by AA fire during attack on London Commercial Docks and second engine disabled by fighters over the coast during return. Belly-landed on Broomhill Farm, East Guldeford, north of Camber, 4.35 p.m. Believed that engaged by P/O A.B. Watkinson and P/O C.A.W. Bodie of No. 66 Squadron but probably also attacked by F/L J.C. Freeborn of No. 74 Squadron. BO Lt Otto Behm and FF Fw Johannes Sommer both captured unhurt, BF Uffz Paul Moeck, BM Uffz Gerhard Arndt, and BS Gefr Martin Männich all captured wounded. Aircraft V4+FA fired by crew 100% write-off.

1./KG1 Heinkel He111H. Returned hit by AA fire and fighters over London during attack on West India Docks. BM Fw Fritz Schöwer badly wounded - admitted to hospital in Domfront, rest of crew unhurt. Aircraft 10% damaged - repairable.

3./KG1 Heinkel He111H-3 (3233). Starboard engine disabled by AA fire over London during attack on West India Docks, lost formation and severely damaged in attacks by F/L D.G. Parnall, P/O T.F. Neil and P/O W.B. Pattullo of No.249 Squadron. Belly-landed at Hildenborough 4.33 p.m. where crew attempted to destroy the aircraft. FF Uffz Herbert Steinecke and BO Uffz Walter Hirsch both captured unhurt, BF Uffz Erwin Kramer, BM Gefr Willi Pfeiffer, and BS Gefr Heinrich Pümpel all captured wounded. Aircraft V4+KL 100% write-off.

3./KG1 Heinkel He111H-3 (6852). Forced-landed at Amiens damaged by AA fire and fighters over London during attack on West India Docks 4.30 p.m. BM Fw Hermann Klammer badly wounded - admitted to hospital in Amiens where died next day, HB Oberfw Hans Welscher and BF Uffz Willi Berg both badly wounded and admitted to hospital in Amiens, rest of crew unhurt. Aircraft V4+AL 60% damaged - write-off.

6./KG1 Heinkel He111H-2 (2733). Forced-landed at Boisville, 5 km east-south-east of Montreuil, damaged by fighters during sortie over London. BS Gefr Quirin Steger badly wounded - admitted to hospital in Campagne where died next day, BM Gefr Fritz Kostka slightly wounded - admitted to hospital in Abbeville, rest of crew unhurt. Aircraft V4+BW 10% damaged - repairable.

6./KG1 Heinkel He111H-2 (5364). Both engines disabled in fighter attacks during sortie to London Docks, dumped bombs and belly-landed at Broomhill Farm, East Guldeford, north of Camber, 4.40 p.m. Believed that engaged by S/L R.H.A. Leigh, F/O R.W. Oxspring and Sgt D.A.C. Hunt of No. 66 Squadron but also attacked by F/L A.R. Wright of No. 92 Squadron. FF Uffz Bernhard Hansen, BO Uffz Karl Markert, BM Uffz Johannes Krall, and BS Gefr Günter Wilhelm all captured unhurt, BF Uffz Hans Wiesehoff captured wounded. Aircraft V4+RW fired by crew 100% write-off.

steve sheridan
17th November 2010, 13:15
Good afternoon Peter, thats fabulous really really helps.
Many thanks once again for helping to fill many gaps.

Kindest regs,
Steve.