PDA

View Full Version : 10 (Pz)./SG 9 Claim Data

Colin Fuller
20th January 2005, 08:42
I am researching Franz J Birnbaum a Hs 129 pilot with of 10 (Pz)./SG 9 and wondered if anyone knows if these units had claim data. Birnbaum was awarded the Frontflugspange in Silber so I imagine with this number of operational flights there must have been some records as to individual success (he also was awarded the EK I). Any help with this pilot and unit would be most useful. By the way I already have Martin Pegg's book on the Hs 129 which has been most useful.

Best,

Jens
20th January 2005, 10:16
Claim data of Pz-Jäger are quite problematic.
Example: Although VIII. Airkorps records 84 tanks destroyed by Pz/SG-9 on 8.7.43 indeed only 6 hits were observed (none burning!).
Recent After War researches make clear that attacked unit never had 84 tanks, but much lesser. The unit lost on the whole day 7-9 tanks but was also fighting on the ground against waffen-ss.

According to Niklas Zetterling Rudel had less than 150 tanks destroyed and not 500+ as he claimed.

Colin Fuller
20th January 2005, 10:27
Thanks Jens

You might be interested to know that I have a letter dated 13th March 1944 – Letter from Generalleutnant Seidemann, signed by Hptm. Ruffer (Staffelkapitän 10 (Pz)./SG 9). The letter says in rough translation: The 10. (Pz) / SG 9 at the 12th March 1944 had an extraordinary achievement with the annihilation of nineteen Russian T 34 tanks. He congratulated the Staffel on this paramount success and the flying and ground personnel for their brave soldierly actions and special recognition above all to Feldwebel Dittrich for destroying seven T 34 tanks. These persistant attacks used the greatest cutting edge tank hunting with outstanding effect to relieve the threatened area of Prokuroff. The Staffel can take a share of the glory of the defence of, and the failure of the enemy at Prokuroff. The fight goes inexorably further! He says he is certain the men of the panzerstaffel will continue as they have up to now with determination, hardness and much energy and a readiness for sacrifice.

Jens
25th January 2005, 11:51
Sorry just saw your post. Indeed really interesting.