Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th March 2013, 16:26
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road
JG53 and the I-17

I have noticed that a number of pilots claim to have shot down I-17s in the early months of the Russian campaign. Does anyone have a clear idea what these were. I am assuming they were Yak-1 or LaGG-3 maybe even Mig-3?

regards

Keith
Old 26th March 2013, 07:50
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about
Re: JG53 and the I-17

Hi Keith

I-17, I-200 and I-18 and Mig-1 are all in the same. MiG-3 was I-61, Jak-1 was I-26, Rata was I-16, LaGG-1 was I-22, LaGG-3 was I-301 and I-180 was Jak-7.

Regards

Johannes
Old 26th March 2013, 15:02

Maxim1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
I-17, I-200 and I-18 and Mig-1 are all in the same.
Hi, Johannes.

I must add that MiG-1 (aka I-200) did not participate in any air combat of WW II, so I-200, MiG-1 and I-18 (this type didn't exist at all) in German victory claims are all probably misidentifications for MiG-3.

I-17 was an experimental plane which looked a lot like MiG-3, so probably another misidentification here:

http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/fww2/i17/i17-5.jpg

Also, I-22 was a prototype of LaGG-1 (aka I-301) and all three are clearly misidentifications for LaGG-3. I-180 was again only an experimental plane.

Regards,
Maksim
Old 26th March 2013, 23:37

GMichalski is on a distinguished road

hi,
that's exactly what I was going to comment... the misidentifications in eastern front.....
we must be careful with the models of the planes...to start the war in Russia german pilots had some doubts about aircraft models and could be wrong...

kind regards

"The wingman is absolutely indispensable. I look after the wingman. The wingman looks after me....."
Francis S. "Gabby" Gabreski,

"The first rule of all air combat is to see the opponent first."
Adolf Galland
Old 2nd April 2013, 04:11

oquaig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim1 View Post
Hi, Johannes.

I must add that MiG-1 (aka I-200) did not participate in any air combat of WW II...
Not true. There were 31 MiG-1s in Baltic Military District, 37 MiG-1s in Western Military District, 1 MiG-1 in Kiev Military District and 8 MiG-1s in Odessa Military District as of 1 June 1941. There were a total of 77 of these machines in service at that time. They participated, if only briefly.

Oquaig
Old 2nd April 2013, 13:54

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road

I'd define this question more catiously (like I-17 was definitely a MiG, or like I-26 was for sure a Jak). The Axis pilots were not able to differentiate so distinctly between these new, until that time unknown types and later confused them regularly as well. There were scores of 'LaGG' claims against inline engined fighters, so many times against Jaks, or in unofficial materials they mentioned an inline fighter just as a 'Spitzmaus' (literally shrew) because of its sharp nose.

I-17 was definitely a new, inline engine Soviet fighter, which was different from the older, radial engined Polikarpov fighters. But better if you compare the actual inventory of the particular area's Soviet fighter units with these claims, than judge it as 'definitely' a MiG.