Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th April 2021, 04:43

Ben McKinnon is on a distinguished road
Lt Friedrich-Karl Thien KG 100 Heinkel Crash

Hi would like to ask if anyone could provide me with information on Lt Thiens Career, I do know that he served as a pilot in KG 100 and promoted to Oberleutnant and was awarded the wound badge, not sure of the colour after a plane crash following a ramming by a Russian aircraft but that is all I have on him. There was a photo with a crashed Heinkel with the letters GN+N and I. I think it’s an I as it’s in a different colour looks like a crash dated 1940, not sure if it was his aircraft ? Any information would be good.

Last edited by Ben McKinnon; 5th April 2021 at 04:45. Reason: Addition of words to clarify
Old 5th April 2021, 05:39
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough
Re: Lt Friedrich-Karl Thien KG 100 Heinkel Crash

He111 H-6, 4441, Thien, Ltn. Friedrich-Karl, , I., 1., KGr. 100, , 6N+FH, DJ+LI, , 28-Sep-41, WIA due to being rammed by an enemy aircraft during sortie to Tyschininow. B KIA., , Lfl.2/Eins.Osten, Gen.Qu.6.Abt. (mfm #4)-Vol.6; Balke, KG 100, p.369, 438, , (Tyschininow), 60%, F, B Fw. Karl Eikelmeier, ,
Old 5th April 2021, 09:30

Thanks Jim, I did read the bordfunkers report on the ramming, the Russian aircraft was badly hit before ramming and damaged a metre of fuselage and then crossing the lines on return was hit by an anti aircraft shell, Thien hit a farmhouse and was rescued by war correspondents. Just a pity I could not find out what happened to him after this wether he still flew or his injuries grounded him.
Old 7th April 2021, 08:40

Urusut is on a distinguished road

The lieutenant Friedrich-Karl Thien received 13 bone fractures and multiple bruises. He was treated in hospitals for a long time. Decommissioned from military service. Awarded with the Iron Cross 1st class.
In 1990 he lived in the city Neunkirchen.
Old 7th April 2021, 11:06

Richard Mills is on a distinguished road
Lt Friedrich-Karl Thien KG 100 Heinkel Crash

Following the 28-Sep-1941 incident, Oblt. Thein spent 12 months recuperating before being assigned to Frontflug – Sammlergruppe ‘Dortmund’ on 20-10-42 to 12-11-42; Nachtjagdraumführer 12 from 13-11-42 to 14-12-43 and Stab 1. Jagddivision from 15-12-43. His injuries meant he was awarded the Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber on 26-11-1941.

I would be very interested in learning where the details of his crash on 28-Sep-41 have been documented; I take it the Bordfunkers report is in the Balke book on K.Gr. 100?

Hope this helps.

Regards Richard.
Old 7th April 2021, 11:17
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

Nd PK report maybe also ?
Rémi
Old 7th April 2021, 12:51
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Nd PK report maybe also ?
Rémi
THis would be a good place to start looking: https://anno.onb.ac.at/infos_zeizs.htm
Old 7th April 2021, 18:20
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, for this interesting link, but it concern only Austria ?, Regarding the PK/War correspondents articles, I never thing on where they were published, but probably in usual newspapers, in whole or reduce form...
Hv you already search in this base ?
Rémi
Old 7th April 2021, 19:22
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Thanks, for this interesting link, but it concern only Austria ?, Regarding the PK/War correspondents articles, I never thing on where they were published, but probably in usual newspapers, in whole or reduce form...
Hv you already search in this base ?
Rémi

The "Ostmark" was part of the Reich back then and its newspapers used the same PK reports as everywhere else in German-held territory. I have primarily used that database for the Vienna edition of the Völkischer Beobachter. This does have some "local content" but the war news seems to be standard. For more "approved-by-Goebbels" newspapers, you can look online at those held by La Bibliothèque Nationale Française (the "gallica" database) or the Zeitschriften Datenbank.
Old 8th April 2021, 08:12

Thank you for the information gentlemen, the Radio operators report was on a French website, could not see which book it was from, I believe it was one of the KG100 books, I am being sent the group through the post and it does come with the crash photographs which I am happy to share with this website, the second crashed Heinkel photograph GN + N and what looks like either an I or 1 in a different colour is also with the group, looks like a belly landing with minimal damage.