Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #3  
Old 4th January 2010, 13:30
obdl3945's Avatar
obdl3945 obdl3945 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 615
obdl3945 is on a distinguished road
Re: help deciphering hand writing

Hi...

I believe this may be a modernised version of Suetterlinschrift, and that there are seven characters here, most likely: W?inere.

The word 'flugzeug' above it has a curved accent above the third and seventh charachters, denoting a 'u'. 'N's looked similar, so were denoted by a straight bar above them, hence I think the fourth character in this placename is an 'n'. The second character is smudged, but possibly was a vowel, perhaps an 'a' or 'e'...? There is an outside chance, however, that the dot above the second and third characters relates to the second, in which case it would be an 'i' and possibly leaving he third character as a 'c', although I think this is a long shot.

So, it could be either 'Wainere/Weinere' or I think less likely 'Wicnere', and quite possibly as mentioned before by Chris, a misspelling or a German verson of a particular placename.

And finally, yes, I know... I've mentioned it before, but it really is worth repeating, that the following is an excellent link for understanding Suetterlin, and you can try your hand with the exercises, then set about deciphering all the previously undeciphered writing on the back of photos...

http://www.suetterlinschrift.de/

Regards...

Paul
Reply With Quote
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Luftwaffe deciphering of Allied air force codes. tcolvin Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces 3 8th October 2008 17:09


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2026, 12oclockhigh.net