Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 9th October 2011, 18:32
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
NJG loss on Eastern Front on 7 August 1943

On Pawel Buchard website about the Kursk air battle, there is the following loss listed for I./NJG 100 (was IV./NJG 5 before 1 August):

7.8.1943 Ju 88C-6 360138 C9+KU 10./NJG 5 (1./NJG 100)
Others, Ofw. Hans KIA with crew in Luftkampf
(probably enemy fire). Kolobowka 100% F

There is no trace of this loss in the books of Michael Balss, and I can find no man named Others on the Volksbund website.

I would like to have the names of the crew, and especially the name of the pilot: I wonder if his real name should not be Anders rather than Others, and it was at some time translated... Others is certainly not a common German name, while Anders is.

I would also like to have more details about the reported loss place. I have found two Kolobovka places, but far from the 1943 battlefields.

Thanks in advance
Old 9th October 2011, 20:48
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough
Re: NJG loss on Eastern Front on 7 August 1943

As I recall, Balss didn't have much for NJG 100 losses, but I have the following:
Ju 88C-6, 360138, Others, Ofw. Bernhard, , I., 1. (10.), NJG 100 (NJG 5), , C9+KU, , , 07-Aug-43, KIA with crew due to Luftkampf., , Lfl.6/Eins.Osten/Nachtjagd, Gen.Qu.6.Abt. (mfm #11)-Vol.20; Höhler, Deutsche Nachtjagd Personalverluste, p.152, , Kolobowka, 100%, F, Bf Fw. Georg Neuwirth & Bs Uffz. Walter Pulter, ,
Old 12th October 2011, 00:30
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough

This might be near Bryansk as the ADD was involved in some intense air battles on the 7 and 8Aug43. I haven't read about a bomber crew claiming a Ju-88 yet mostly Bf 110's.
Old 12th October 2011, 08:39

Charles Bavarois is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Laurent,

In NVM the crew of Ju 88 C-6, WNr. 360.138 , C9+KU, 1./NJG 100, is reported like

Ofw. Bernhard Ohters, Flugzeugführer (not Others)
Fw. Georg Heuwirth, Bordfunker and
Uffz. Walter Pulfer, Bordschütze (not Pulter).

Wrong spelling in GQM-returns are quite common, so I would tend to trust NVM.

The aircraft crashed after Luftkampf 1 km NW Kolotowskij, 6 km SE Ljudinowo, 8.8.1943, at 02:24 hrs. The crew was burried at Ljudinowo.

Greetings

Carl
Old 12th October 2011, 10:44
Alter Hase

Thanks Charles for this, it answers all my questions at once.

By the way I am used to decypher German transcription of Russian names in loss reports, but Kolobowka = Kolotowskij was rather hard to find.

Except that... a search on maplandia finds nothing for Kolotowskij. Ljudinowo is the German form of Lyudinovo, Kaluga region, and there is a place called Kolotovka just to the SE of it:
http://www.maplandia.com/russia/kalu...yon/kolotovka/

Starting from that, I found that this place is called apparenly both Kolotovka or Kolotovskiy, as seen below by the two links pointing to the same point on the map:
http://fr.getamap.net/cartes/russia/.../_kolotovskiy/
http://fr.getamap.net/cartes/russia/...st/_kolotovka/
Kolotovka seems to me more used on the Web.

Thanks again
Old 12th October 2011, 17:11
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Hello, all

The transcribed GenQu 6 Abt record:

http://www.aviationhistory.no/ref_db...?lossid=123650

Will update last name of Pulfer based on your information, Charles

Regards,
Andreas B
Old 12th October 2011, 18:27

Maxim1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent Rizzotti View Post
Starting from that, I found that this place is called apparenly both Kolotovka or Kolotovskiy
'Kolotovskiy' means 'of Kolotovka' in Russian. The place name may refer to a 'Kolotovskiy kolkhoz' (i.e. 'Kolkhoz of Kolotovka').
Old 13th October 2011, 12:22
Alter Hase

Thanks Maxim for this additional explanation.

Decrypting the German writings of Russian names is sometimes hard. Another example today:

Here is what I had from a German website:
Uffz. Josef Maier of 1./JG 52 was the first pilot of I./JG 52 killed on the East Front. His Bf 109 F-2 WNr. 5771 “White 11“ was shot down on 13 October 1941 in an air battle 6 km southwest of Kalinin and he was posted missing. His crashsite was later found at Monassejna, 8 km west of Latoshina, and his body was found and buried.

The Volksbund website confirmed the death place.

With three indications (6 km SW Kalinin / 8 km W Latoshina / Monassejna) I thought it would be a piece of cake.

But I could not find any place called Latoshina or Latochina, or Monassejna or Monasseyna or Monasejna...

There is several tens of Kalinin in Russia, but actually the city called then Kalinin is now called Tver, but I knew that before, so I avoided at least this trap.

Then I started to search places SW of Tver in my map and was about to give up when my eyes fell on a place called Lotoshino about 50 km south of Tver. I then went a little to the west and there was a place called Monaseino at around 8 km west of Lotoshino.

And to make things even more complicated. On maplandia site, you can find this place by searching "Monoseino" in the database, not Monaseino, but the map displayed then shows "Monaseino" as the place's name. Other sites will display it if you search Monaseino:
http://mapcarta.com/13396458
http://www.maplandia.com/russia/tver...yon/monoseino/

So case solved, but by sheer luck more than anything...
Old 13th October 2011, 17:47

Maxim1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent Rizzotti View Post
Decrypting the German writings of Russian names is sometimes hard.
I agree. In many cases it may be very hard even for Russian native speakers.

However, there are some regularities I've noticed which may be a little helpful.

1) The Germans used the letter 'es-tset' or 'double es' to mark an 's'-sound between vowels or at the beginning of words. So if you see a place name like 'Monassejno', 'Kolossowskoje' or 'Ssinjawino' you can be almost sure that in original Russian spelling it appears with a single 's' (i.e. Monoseino, Kolosovskoye and Sinyavino).
2) The names of Russian villages ending with '-ina' are barely exist. It is an '-ino' in almost all cases. So not 'Stalina' but 'Stalino', not 'Monassejna' but 'Monoseino', not 'Lepjachina' but 'Lepyakhino' etc.

Best regards,
Maksim
Old 13th October 2011, 18:44
Alter Hase

Some other rules I use with some success:
replace German "j" by "y"
replace german "w" by "v"
replace German "sch" or "sh" by "ch" (but might also be sh)
if nothing works, replace "b" by "t" or the other way...

Back to the Kursk battle, I found today an interesting webpage:
http://militera.lib.ru/h/hazanov_gorbach/04.html

This is the annex of a rather long (for the Web) article about the air side of the Kursk battle (article on three webpages, first here
http://militera.lib.ru/h/hazanov_gorbach/01.html)

Most interestings tables:
n° 9 : showing German captured on 4 and 5 July 1943 and their place of capture: may be useful to complete some crew given as MIA by German reports
n° 11: losses of 6 IAK between 5 and 12 July (pilot, location when known, serial)
n° 14: losses of 221 BAD between 5 and 10 July (with far less details than above)
n° 15: losses of 302 IAD between 3 and 29 July (pilot, location when known, serial)