Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 19th November 2007, 23:36

Nefiakoff is on a distinguished road
Wellington Z1406, 22 July 1942 crew info

Hello,

I’m looking for any informations, photos etc. concerning polish officer, F/O Romuald Paszkowski from 301 Sqn. RAF, who was a member of Wellington Z1406 GR-G and was shot down over Netherlands on 22 July 1942.

He was a member of family of my friends. Until now they managed only to get quite exact data concerning his death.
The target of the mission was Duisburg, Vickers Wellington Z1406 was hit by flak near Wanne-Eidel in Holland, then exploded in the air.
Part (parts?) of a/c fell on a town of Herne.
Five members of the crew were lost: F/O Lewicki, F/O Kucza, P/O Kuderski, F/O Paszkowski and Sgt Maliszewski.
W/O Fuśniak bailed out safely and was taken PoW.

I’m specially interested on graves of the crew – it would be very valuable information for my friends.

Many thanks in advance

Nef
Old 20th November 2007, 00:56
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Re: Wellington Z1406, 22 July 1942 crew info

Try to have a look into Księga ku czci poległych lotników 1939-1945. You should find the information there.
Old 20th November 2007, 13:27

Thank You Franek, big help.
I've never seen this book before but will find it soon.

Nef
Old 20th November 2007, 17:15

Fairlop

Hef,

I believe that "Wanne-Eidel in Holland" was/is Wanne-Eickel in Germany. It is situated N of Bochum, Ruhr. Wellington part fell on a town of Herne which is only about 5km from Wanne-Eickel. There was a synthetic oil plant at town too. With a very strong Flak site due to this. Target for the day was Duisburg, not far from the crash site.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Michal
Old 21st November 2007, 22:55

Michal, You’re right.
The Netherlands was looking very certain for me and I wouldn't think Herne can be in Germany !
After Your post I’ve found that it has four districts of quarters: Herne-Mitte (centrum), Herne Wanne, Herne Eickel and Herne Sodingen.
There’s also a tramway line (Sraßenbahn) connecting Herne- Wanne-Eickel with Bochum.

Anyway, it seems that crew of this Wellington flew quite far after the target – just into strong flak defence You mentioned.

Thank You very much for help.

PS.
That night 301 Sqn. RAF lost also second Wellington over sea, no. Z 1405, on its way to Duisburg. All the crew – five men – was lost.
Old 16th December 2007, 23:12

Hello guys,

I discovered that on 22 July 1942 in Wellington GR-G Z1406 from 301 Sqn. RAF was killed not F/O Romuald PASZKOWSKI but F/O Bolesław PESZKOWSKI.

The crew members were:

F/O Bolesław Eugeniusz Peszkowski – the pilot, polish rank porucznik (equal to F/O)
F/O Cezary Lewicki – the pilot, polish rank porucznik
F/O Kazimierz Kucza – the navigator, polish rank porucznik
Sgt Robert Maliszewski – the radio operator, polish rank st. szeregowy (equal to AC 1)
P/O Piotr Kuderski – the gunner, polish rank podporucznik (equal to P/O)
W/O Józef Fuśniak – the rear gunner, polish rank sierżant (equal to Sgt)

Five members of the crew lie at Reichswald Forest Commonwealth War Cemetery at Kleve.

W/O Józef Fuśniak (British Empire Medal) bailed out, was wounded in face and an ear, during landing injured his leg also.
He managed to jump into train and traveled few hours but in the area of dutch border was discovered and taken PoW.
It is very possible that he lives in Great Britain until now.

F/O Romuald Andrzej Paszkowski that I’m still looking for was in fact a navigator, a member of 300 Sqn. RAF and was killed in Lancaster on 28 January 1945 over Berneck-Schwarzwald in Stuttgart area.

Franek, Michal - I would like to thank You one more time for help in my research.

Best regards

Nef
Old 22nd December 2007, 22:14

cz_raf

Hi Nef, so I suppose you are looking for this lost:
Lancaster PB846,BH-K, 300 Sq
Operation Stuttgart
28th January 1945

T/O 19.58 from Faldingworth. Crashed at Berneck on the SE side of the Schwarzald and about 2 km N from the small town of Altensteig. Those killed are buried in Durnbach War Cemetery. F/L Zarebski had made his way to England via Romania and France, later become fighter. F/L Z.E.Zarebski PAF KIA F/S J.N.Gerwatowski PAF Inj P/O R.A.Paszkowski PAF KIA P/O Z.Wesolowski PAF Inj Sgt P.Barzdo PAF Inj Sgt K.Cymbala PAF KIA Sgt R.Mankowski PAF Inj P/O Z.Wesolowski, Sgt P.Barzdo, Sgt R.Mankowski and F/S J.N.Gerwatowski were in Hospital until Liberation.

Pavel

Last edited by cz_raf; 22nd December 2007 at 22:15. Reason: Details added
Old 3rd January 2008, 10:38

Hi Pavel,

You’re right, of course.
I’ve started a new thread to look for this crew:

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=11224

Thank You for providing me info that all four survivers were wounded, I didn’t know it yet.
Until now I had take off at 19.59 but it doesn't change anything, of course.
I’ve received also an information that Lancaster PB 846 was shot down by a Night Fighter, I would be grateful for every details.

Thank You for help and all the best in 2008.

Nef