Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 11th January 2009, 02:28

Eagle0025
2Lt. Alfred B. Abeles, 430FS, KIA

I am seeking any and all information on the missing crash site of 2Lt. Abeles (O-773507) who was shot down by enemy flak at approximately 1130 hours, 23 Jan 45 while flying P-38J-15-LO, serial number 43-28726, coded K6-P. Abeles was witnessed by another 430FS pilot (2Lt. Kennard K. Jones) coming off a third strafing pass on some trucks. Jones saw Abeles’ ship “mushing along the tree tops apparently one engine was hit. It looked like it was windmilling”. Abeles’ P-38 hit the top of the trees and exploded, burning as it went down through the woods. Jones estimated the crash location at map reference F-536253, SE of Euskirchen. A Casualty Clearance plan states another map reference of F-546753.

The 428th and 429th Fighter Squadrons each flew an armed recce mission on the morning of 23 Jan 45 in the area of Gemund, Euskirchen, Honningen, and Adenau. The 428th FS dropped 1000-pound bombs on motor traffic in a small town at map reference F-315150, near Muenstereifel (map reference F-3118). The 429th FS formation bombed and strafed a German HQ at Wallerede (map reference P-8890). Both formations incurred some flak damage but no losses.

Abeles' crash site/remains have never been located. During 1947, the district police of Koln made inquiries regarding a 23 Jan 45 P-38 crash in the following communities: Euskirchen, Kuchenheim, Weidesheim, Gross- and Kleinbuellesheim, Esch, Strassfeld, Flamersheim, Palmersheim, Kirchheim, Stotzheim, Roitzheim, Niederkastenholz, Arloff-Kirspenich, Iversheim, Muenstereifel, Eschweiler, Wachendorf (sic), Rissdorf (sic), eiler auf dem Berge, Satzvey, Antweiler, Lessenich, Kreuzweingarten, Wisskirchen, and Euenheim. In all of these communities, nothing was known of the crash in question and no American soldiers were buried in the cemeteries or fields in their districts. During 1948, officials in the Meckenheim area (suspected crash area) were interviewed and also stated that no Allied aircraft had crashed on this date within the jurisdiction of Meckenheim.

Just thought I would put out a post to see if there was some new information out there. Thanks in advance.

Gary Koch (474th FG Association Historian)

Old 11th January 2009, 19:55

Horst Weber
Re: 2Lt. Alfred B. Abeles, 430FS, KIA

Gary !

It doesn't seem, that Lt. Alfred Abeles came down in an area, which was then German occupied. There is no incident in German files, that this airman landed anywhere in German hold territory.

He may have made it to the own lines, but certainity can only come by his IDPF (in which posession I guess you are) or a local adminstration note can help. I had those cases, too, but anyhow, sometimes it brought clearance.

Best wishes !

borsto
Old 12th January 2009, 04:06

Eagle0025
Smile Re: 2Lt. Alfred B. Abeles, 430FS, KIA

Horst,

You bring up a very valid point about Abeles possibly landing in Allied territory. I will have to research to see where the Allied forward lines were as of 23 Jan 45 in the Euskirchen area and compare that against the 474th FG armed recce patrol areas that morning.
I also do indeed have Abeles' MACR and IDPF. That is where much of my information at the beginning of this thread comes from. The only other thing I can think of is Jones' estimation of the crash site location is way off base and nowhere near Euskirchen. That is very possible as I have verified many other 474th FG crash sites through European witnesses and they were nowhere near where pilots who witnessed the crashes thought they were.
Also, I have found that German records are very thorough when it comes to verification of Allied crash sites on German soil. I am 99.9 percent certain that there would be some record of Abeles' crash if he had come down on German soil. I'll keep checking.

Cheers, Gary
Old 12th January 2009, 19:38

Horst Weber

Good evening Gary !

After cross-checking your thoughts, I must correct myself. When you are in the possession of the the pilot's IDPF, then you know about the postwar attempts, to clear the case. in so far, please forget my thougt of a crash in allied hold territory.

This seems to be one of the typical MIA cases which happened in the battle-zone. The a/c came down and the pilot was buried (or not) by German troops, trying to get away from the approaching U.S. troops. Postwar, no one remembers, where the body of the pilot was buried and the civilians had been evacuated to safer places.

If this case didn't find an entrance into the Luftgau-records, is nearly no chance, to clear it. As you know, were the days of January 22nd, 23rd + the days, when the remaining units of the 6th SS-Panzerarmee released from the Northern part of the Ardennes and a lot of military-road traffic was "bumper-on-bumper" on the eastbound roads off the Ardennes. This traffic was led over the main-roads B 51 and B 410.

My guess is, that Abeles flight attacked one of those columns and it came there to the accident. Nobody knows, how badly his corpus was burnt or whatever happened finally on the ground. Noone knows, if he was buried or not. There is no trace in an available German document about him.

There are still some, but not many MIA cases under the same circumstances and the same time-frame to be solved.

Good luck !

Horst Weber
Old 12th January 2009, 19:46

Joerg Dietsche

Gary,

input from my team - no result near Euskirchen so far.

Cheers

Jörg D.
Old 13th January 2009, 08:14
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough

Gary,

Crash location may be (around) Sankt-Vith, Belgium, but I'll have to check source with third person first.

Regards,

Leendert
Old 13th January 2009, 18:54

Horst Weber

Good evening Jörg and Leendert and a happy new year !

What's about missing in the Hürtgenwald-area at these days ?

best regards !

Horst Weber