Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 9th March 2009, 11:00

hanshauprich is on a distinguished road
Floatplane on HMS Fidelity (D-57)

On 30. Dezember 1942 the german U-Boat U-435 sunk the Fidelity near the Azoren. The ship was an socalled SSV-Ship. On board where two floatplanes.
I'm looking fot the typ of plane und if possible the rang and names of their crews. (The crew of the ship was mostley french!!!)
Old 9th March 2009, 20:27
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Floatplane on HMS Fidelity (D-57)

Hallo Hans

Ships are not my speciality so perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree here. According to the late Ray Sturtivant and his The Squadrons of the Fleet Air Arm, HMS Fidelity was equipped with Vought Kingfisher from No 703 Squadron. However since he mentions the year 1943, it just might be another Fidelity, since I have no idea how fast a "new" ship could take on the same name as a previously sunk or scrapped vessel. Possibly Ray was mistaken when listing HMS Fidelity in the year 1943 since he is lumping together ALL ships that 703Sq at one time served onboard and then giving the year 1943.
Checking Fleet Air Arm aircraft 1939-45 by the same author produces no obvious Kingfisher as delivered to the vessel in question.
That is how far I am able to check for you...

Cheers
Stig
Old 9th March 2009, 21:07
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

HMS Fidelity had a mainly French crew because she was the British-built French merchant ship Le Rhone, and there are a number of interesting stories attached to her. One reference I found (Google is your friend!) did indeed mention Kingfishers.

I know of no other HMS Fidelity in the period.
Old 10th March 2009, 13:10
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough

Hans,

Full story here (but no names) and confirmation of Kingfishers: http://www.mikekemble.com/ww2/fidelity.html

Regards,

Leendert
Old 10th March 2009, 13:20
Alter Hase

Hans,

Crew of capsized Kingfisher:

Pilot Lt. Cdr. (A) Ben Schröder, RNVR, and observer/gunner Sub-Lt. J.J. Allen, RN.
Both survived and were picked up by HMCAS St Laurent.

Regards,

Leendert
Old 10th March 2009, 13:25
Alter Hase

Hans,

It appears that Allen's real name was J.J. Gilbert. Another nom de guerre was J.J. Tremayne.
All to do with clandestine operations!

Regards,

Leendert
Old 10th March 2009, 19:11

Bruce Dennis is on a distinguished road

The book 'HMS Fidelity' by Marcel Jullian is no help. It says merely that two Kingfishers were given to the ship as part of a refit at Portsmouth in early November 1942, but earlier says that only one (unspecified) seaplane was to be attached. A few years ago I was allowed to see a privately printed memoir of someone who had an earlier association with Fidelity and there was no mention of aircraft aboard.
However, it is worth noting that some sources say the ship was carrying two French aircraft, namely the Besson MB.411 floatplanes built for use aboard submarines. This cannot be the case as there were, I believe, only two of the 411s built, and one went down with the Surcouf earlier in 1942 while the other stayed in service somewhere, I believe still operating with the French Navy.

HTH,
Bruce
Old 10th March 2009, 19:53
Alter Hase

Guys

Amazing how interesting a thread can become

Leendert, may I ask what your source is regarding L/C B Schroeder?
According to the Fleet Air Arm aircraft 1939-45 he was onboard FN658 (703 Sq) when capsized during a night slipway recovery. The problem is that Kingfisher FN658 was active onboard HMS Dundee and it all happened on or before Aug 18th,1942, that is the date when the aeroplane was stated to be a cat Z (likely to be struck off charge).

With regard to the sub Surcouf, MB 411 No 1 was condemned already in 1937 and replaced by No 2. Seems they never served together onboard that vessel: No 2 came to UK and was tested with a rebuilt fin by the Royal Navy. It is reported as handed back to France in 1941, going to Forces Navales Francaise libres (FNFL)
I am trying to attach a photo of the aeroplane in question under test with the RN. No idea if I succeed or not

Cheers
Stig
Old 11th March 2009, 13:09
Alter Hase

Stig,

Names appear on page 20 in the book "Secret Flotillas" by Brooks Richards (Clandestine Sea Operations in the Mediterranean, North Africa and the Adriatic, 1940-1944).

Leendert
Old 11th March 2009, 22:05
Alter Hase

Thanks Leendert

Looks like you only have a secondary source, just like me...

Cheers
Stig