Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 14th April 2009, 13:53

crolick is on a distinguished road
Sturzkampfgeschwader 2 in May 1940

Hello,

in Hitler's Stuka Squadrons by John Ward on pages 83/4 I have found information that two Gruppen (based on the names of mentioned there commanders those should be I. and III.) from St.G. 2 attacked on 25 V allied warships near Calais (2 cruisers and 6 destroyers) and sunk HM Destroyer WESSEX. After the attack formation was attacked by Spitfires from 54 Squadron RAF losing 3 Ju.87.

As far as I know at least some part of this untrue since WESSEX with 2 other destroyers (namely VIMIERA and Polish BURZA) were ordered to shell German armour positions west of Calais, and ~16:30 on 24 May they were attacked by formation of about 27 German Stuka bombers. In the attack WESSEX was hit with three bombs and sank, while BURZA and VIMIERA were badly damaged. It is also claimed that BURZA downed 1 Ju.87 and damaged another one.

Since WESSEX sunk 100% on 24 and not on 25 V there is possibility that Ward mixed up the losses of St.G.2 from those days. So the besic question is whether there were any confirmed losses either on 24 or 25 V?! Is it known which pilot from St.G. 2 sunk WESSEX?!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have a nice day,
Andrzej
Old 14th April 2009, 18:36
Alter Hase

robert is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sturzkampfgeschwader 2 in May 1940

Hi,

40 Ju 87 dive-bombers from I./StG2 and III./StG2 attacked 5 British and 1 Polish destroyer in the area of Calais in the afternoon of 24.05.40. The Stukas suffered no losses and were not opposed by British fighters.

Regards

Robert
Old 28th November 2009, 10:37

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

Andrzej,

To reply to your PM, I confirm what Robert has already said. I. u. III./StG2 of FlKorps VIII attacked Allied naval forces off Calais around 4.30 p.m. on May 24, 1940. HMS Wessex was sunk (6 crewmen killed & 15 wounded) while the Vimiera & Burza were both damaged. No RAF fighters were present and the Ju87s suffered no losses. I do not know which individual pilots may have been credited with hits on the Wessex.

StG2 had several losses on the following day, May 25, during operations against land targets at Calais & offshore shipping as follows:

Stabsstaffel StG2 Dornier Do17M-1 (2236). Set alight in attacks by S/Ldr G.D. Emms, P/O D.W.H. Hanson, and P/O K. Manger of No.17 Squadron and belly-landed 15 km south-east of Calais where later exploded 11.00 a.m. BF Obergefr Otto Schmidt baled out too low and fell dead 3 km east of Ardres, [Fw J Engler and] rest of crew believed unhurt. Aircraft T6+GA 100% write-off.

1./StG2 Junkers Ju87B-1. Shot down by Hurricanes of No.17 Squadron during attack on shipping and believed crash-landed south of Calais 11.15 a.m. Possibly that claimed by F/O Harper. FF Fw Rudolf Oellrich wounded, BF Uffz Karl Laux unhurt – both believed captured and later released. Aircraft 100% write-off.

1./StG2 Junkers Ju87B. Returned damaged by Hurricanes of No.17 Squadron during attack on shipping off Calais 11.15 a.m. Possibly that claimed by F/O Meredith. FF Fw Alois Hausmann slightly wounded, gunner unhurt. Aircraft 10% damaged - repairable.

4./StG2 Junkers Ju87R-1. Believed shot down by fighters during attack on shipping off Calais. FF Oberlt Gerhard Buchenau (Staffelkapitän) and BF Uffz Martin Christ both captured wounded – later released. Aircraft 100% write-off.

4./StG2 Junkers Ju87B. Believed shot down by fighters near Arras during sortie to attack shipping off Calais. BF Uffz Robert Mehl wounded, FF Fw Siegfried Puschmann unhurt – both believed captured and later released. Aircraft 100% write-off.

7./StG2 Junkers Ju87B-1. Shot down by Hurricanes of No. 17 Squadron during attack on shipping and believed crash-landed south-west of Calais 11.15 a.m. Possibly that claimed by P/O Whittaker. FF Lt Eberhard Kreide and BF Uffz Alfred Wiartalla unhurt – both believed captured and later released. Aircraft 100% write-off.
Old 28th November 2009, 20:49

crolick is on a distinguished road

Thank you Peter for your very helpful comment!

One more question - do you know which Staffeln took part in the sinking of WESSEX?

Best wishes,
Andrzej
Old 29th November 2009, 10:15

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

Andrzej,

No, sorry. The surviving records I consulted were not that detailed.