Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 22nd September 2009, 20:17

FZ1FZ1FZ1 is on a distinguished road
Josef Frantisek - Bar to the DFM?

Hello again.

I'm still researching Czech BoB ace Josef Frantisek who flew with 303 Sqn.

Frantisek's DFM is easy to find in the London Gazette http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/34958/pages/5791 on 1 Oct 1940 but I can't find his alleged bar to the DFM anywhere in the Gazette.

I know that the search feature isn't too good on the Gazette site, but I've looked at many different dates for the award (as suggested on various sites) but I cannot find the Gazette entry anywhere.

The only other possibility I've thought of is that posthumous DFMs were not Gazetted.

Anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks,

Jon
Old 23rd September 2009, 09:13

David Sumerauer
Re: Josef Frantisek - Bar to the DFM?

The answer is rather simple. The majority of awards given to citizens of occupied European countries were not gazetted from security reasons. The relatives of decorated airmen were in the risk of German repression. Only very few awards to the Czech personnel were gazetted at all.

Regards David
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:28

VoyTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1FZ1FZ1 View Post
I've thought of is that posthumous DFMs were not Gazetted.
I don't think any DFMs (or DFCs) were awarded posthumously.
Old 23rd September 2009, 20:55

David - Thanks for that. Frantisek supposedly operated under a false name while in France to protect his family so I can see why nationals of occupied countries would not want their awards publicised. However, I wonder why Frantisek's first DFM was Gazetted but not his bar? Probably confusion at the time I imagine.

VoyTech - You are quite right of course. I got my dates wrong as it appears that his bar was confirmed before his death.
I also read somewhere that for MIA crews that were subsequently confirmed as KIA, they backdated the award to the day before the day they went MIA to get around the rule (unconfirmed but interesting!)

Thanks folks,

Jon
Old 24th September 2009, 18:09
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi Jon

Are you sure that he was awarded a Bar to the DFM?

Cheers
Brian
Old 24th September 2009, 23:04

Hi Brian,

As I've been finding out, there seems to be a lot of conflicting info about this pilot, so I'm not sure what's fact or myth any more!

A friend of mine checked his DFM & Recipients book and confirmed the original DFM award, but not the bar and (to date) I can find no documentary evidence of the bar.

The only references are on the net and none seem particularly reliable, so I strongly suspect that the bar may well be a "net rumour" rather than an historical fact.

cheers,

Jon
Old 25th September 2009, 12:36

VoyTech is on a distinguished road

Recommendation for immediate award of a Bar to the DFM for Josef Frantisek has been filed by S/Ldr R. Kellett (OC No. 303 Sqn) on 27/9/40, supported by G/Cpt Vincent (RAF Northolt Station Commander) who stated "It is only a fortnight since he was recommended for the DFM, a bar to which is strongly recommended". It was approved by AVM Park (AOC No. 11 Group) on 30/9/40 and by ACM Dowding (AOC-in-C Fighter Command) on 4/10/40. I have seen a copy of the relevant documents fairly recently.
Old 25th September 2009, 18:06

Hi VoyTech,

That looks more like it!

Please can you tell me the source of this info? And where I can get a copy of the documents you mention?

Many thanks,

Jon
Old 26th September 2009, 15:51

Michal R. is on a distinguished road

The documents mentioned by VoyTech are (but in czech) in book Na nebi hrdého Albionu, part 1 (Battle of Britain) by Jiří Rajlich. Ther is aldo the source, code from NA AIR 2/9326.
In other book by J. Rajlich is, that Josef Franišek was bar to DFM awarded on 28.10.1940. But I think that this medal (and other) could be awarded only to live airmen?
And when pilot was killed, the date of award was same to date of his death (Franišek was killed on 8.10.)? Or not?
Old 27th September 2009, 13:47

Iain Torrance is on a distinguished road

The rule for a DFC or DFM award was that the person had to be alive at the date the recommendation for the award.

There are suspicions that paperwork could have been 'back-dated' in some cases by Squadrons.

An interrsting case is the liberal interpretation was taken for those 'missing' as per Halliday's work on Canadin awards -see web http://airforce.ca/uploads/airforce/...canrafe-l.html.:

It is clear that of the officers recommended (F/O Ede, F/L Williams, P/O Louis Reginald Jacobsen) together with Sergeant H.H. Kitchener) at least one (Williams) had been put up for awards after the sinking of HMS Glorious. The Air Ministry seems to have ignored this in respect to the ban on posthumous awards; the men were deemed alive (hopefull as POWs) until proven otherwise. However, the policy of "no awards to POWs" was skirted in a minute dated 26 July 1940:

The three officers are missing, and may, therefore, be prisoners of ar, but as they were on board H.M.S. "Glorious" when she was sunk I do not think they could be regarded as in any way to blame for their capture...t