Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 27th June 2010, 18:43

Icare9 is on a distinguished road
What happened to Greek Ace BM Vass Vassilliades?

Can anyone clarify what happened to Vass after he was shot down?
It seems fairly clear that the crash site was known, yet there is no named grave, just his Name on a Panel at Runnymede. Whilst every casualty in the War was a tragic waste of life, he had gained a strong reputation and was among the leading Allied aces, let alone Greek.

I have to assume that the crash was so intense that no remains were recovered. I'm just wondering if that was actually the case or whether it might be that he was buried as an unknown airman. If so, it might still be possible to trace back to where he was initially buried and finally accord him the dignity of a named grave.

Tempest Mk.V. Unit: 3 Sqn, RAF. Serial: JF-A (NV755)
Pilot - Fl/Lt. B.M.Vassilliades (Greek), B80 Volkel, Netherlands, March 1945. The aircraft in which the Greek ace crashed to his death over the Bocholt Woods, NW Germany, on March 25th, 1945 shot down by flak, while strafing German armour concentrated in the area.
Which seems to give a crash location, somewhat at odds with CWGC

Name: VASSILLIADES, BASIL MICHAEL
Initials: B M
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
Unit Text: 3 Sqdn.
Date of Death: 25/03/1945
Service No: 182875
Awards: D F C, D F M
Additional information: Native of Greece.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 266.
Memorial: RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL

Also this web page dedicated to him:-

Vassiliades Vassilios - Vass

Does anyone have records for Tempest crashes in the Bocholt area and what became of any killed airmen?
Old 28th June 2010, 10:44

ssg keay has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: What happened to Greek Ace BM Vass Vassilliades?

The problem with Bocholt Woods is that there is no Bocholt Woods. There are small wood-like patches near Bocholt (at least today) and no large woods that would fit that description. It will be almost impossible to determine the crash site on hand of WW2 aerial recon photos as he crashed so close to the end of the war and this area I doubt was filmed this late in the war. I will try to call Bocholt archives and see what I can find out from them. Danny
Old 28th June 2010, 11:53

Hi Danny, thanks for the response.
Understand your points but also, so close to the end of the War, there may have been a MACR or similar Report. As he was shot down by flak, I doubt he had sufficient height to bale out, or if he did, it would be close to the wreckage. I just wonder if it is possible to find his grave. Bocholt's own website has plenty about its Stadtwald, although no doubt that now it is smaller than in WW2. Appreciate your assistance (again).
Old 28th June 2010, 15:52

dp_burke is on a distinguished road

Have you asked the CWGC who administer his memorial?

They might be able to advise if there was remains. His body might have been returned to Greece and hence his name appears only on Runnymede. The non Commonwealth contries might have had different arrangments for their war dead.

You might also want to check out the Operations Record Books (ORB) for the Squadron in the UK National Archives, too see what if any burial/recovery arrangments are mentioned in the days after.
Old 30th June 2010, 14:55

Henk Welting is on a distinguished road

Vassilliades Tempest was EJ755 (not NV) and probably may have crashed between Rees and Wesel. EJ757 with P/O H.T. McCULLOCH on same mission forcelanded approx. 11.10h in the Bocholt area and became PoW. Perhaps his PoW-report may have more info.

Henk.
Old 1st July 2010, 12:56

NUPPOL is on a distinguished road

Place query on http://forum.axishistory.com/viewforum.php?f=49

Note-must register to place query. Prehaps there is a contemporary German report that gives MAP reference to location of crash and burial of pilot...
Old 1st July 2010, 16:14

Thankls for additional info.
Henk: I'm reluctant to question your accuracy, but the Hawker Tempest Page website
http://www.hawkertempest.se/Victories.htm has:-
Quote:
14 Jan Bf109 1 486 F/O C.J. MacDonald SA-A (EJ755) 3 m N Münster (CR)
Admittedly, I can't trace NV755 on 3 Sqdn strength, but as EV755 is with 486 Sqdn in Jan 45, why would it be transferred?
Old 1st July 2010, 17:41

Chris Thomas

Vassilliades was flying EJ755, JF-A, when he posted missing on 25 March 1945.

It was common for aircraft to be allocated to a new unit after damage which required allocation to a repair unit off base. EJ755 had originally been allocated to 274 Sqn on or about 25 Oct 44. Damaged in Dec 44 it was transferred to 419 R&SU and after repair allocated to 486 Sqn on 29 Dec 44 as SA-A. Damaged again on 22 Jan 45 it went to 419 R&SU again and after repair to 3 Sqn on 15 Feb 45 as JF-E. Damaged yet again on 12 Mar 45 it was repaired at 419 R&SU and returned to 3 Sqn on 17 Mar 45 and re-coded JF-A (presumably there had been a new 'E' in its absence).

NV755 was allocated to RAE Farnborough for R&D work and saw no squadron service.
CT
Old 1st July 2010, 22:28

Thanks Chris for clarifying and confirming Henk's accuracy!! I shouldn't have doubted it!
I hadn't expected EJ755 to have been such a flak magnet, needing so many repairs in such a short time. Looks like they found the limit of punishment a Tempest could take.
Old 1st July 2010, 23:17

karl lusink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg keay View Post
The problem with Bocholt Woods is that there is no Bocholt Woods. There are small wood-like patches near Bocholt (at least today) and no large woods that would fit that description. It will be almost impossible to determine the crash site on hand of WW2 aerial recon photos as he crashed so close to the end of the war and this area I doubt was filmed this late in the war. I will try to call Bocholt archives and see what I can find out from them. Danny
Hello.
Two things.
The entries in the Bocholt Archives end march 21, 1945!
Bocholt was a battle area march 25, 1945!
So it is very difficult to find the crash site!
One thing I know for sure is that the A/C did not crash on Dutch soil North of Bocholt!
Regards
Karl Lusink
ARGA