Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 7th June 2011, 16:09

Norbert Schuchbauer
Sondergruppe L?

Hi All,
does anybody have any information about this unit? They lost a Ju 88 on 23 Jan 1943 at Tschernjakewixy. Interesting is that in the loss report there is a note "wer ist das?" [who is this?]

Regards,
Norbert
Old 7th June 2011, 20:03

Charles Bavarois is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sondergruppe L?

Hello Norbert,

strange unit, isn't it? Even the clerk at RLM was wondering about it's true nature.

There are five Namentliche Verlustmeldungen for 1. und 2. Staffel Sondergruppe „L“ from late 1942 to the end of January 1943. Nearly all losses were on combat missions starting at Pleskau. Aircraft were mixed Ju 88 and He 111 with Truppenkennzeichen from different units pointing towards planes taken over from their former owners. "Your" Ju 88 had the code 5K+CU.

Interestingly the last loss on 26.1.43 is reported like 1./Sondergruppe „L“ in NVM and like „Lehrgang für Nachtflugausbildung“ in GQM.

During that timeframe there was a „Lehrgruppe für Nachtflugausbildung Lfl. 1 (aus IV Kampfgruppen)“ based at Plesau. The unit, which was regarded as "Störkampfer" for example had 14 Ju 88 and 21 He 111 on strength on 10th Jan 1943.

This group was established "auf dem Kommandowege" at Prowehren around 27.11.1942 for Luftflotte 1. My last infos are a remark "in Auflösung = being disbanded" on 10.4.1943 and "disbanded" on 20.4.43.

So it seems, that Sondergruppe "L" was something like a conglomerate night-nuisance unit disguised as a night-flight-training-group temporarily established from crews and aircraft from IV. groups of different Kampfgeschwader to help stabilizing the front in the east, when Luftwaffe was in desperate need for every flyable aircraft. One should remember, that at this time IV groups were something like OTU within each Kampfgeschwader to make newly allocated crews combat-ready after advanced trainig at the schools.

HTH

Carl
Old 7th June 2011, 21:59
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

I wonder if "L" is a commander's initial?

The Germans were quite prone to naming ad hoc units after people.
Old 7th June 2011, 22:01

Norbert Schuchbauer

Hello Carl,
thank you so much for the info. More than I expected! Never thought anything would come about since ,as you pointed out, the clerk did not know who they are either.

thanks a bunch,
Norbert
Old 10th June 2011, 08:46

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road

Hallo!

Could the "L" stand for Ladoga? As Lake Ladoga.

Few years ago I researched Finnish Air Observation unit logs. These include also German flights which needed to make prior notice to Finns before entering Finnish or Finnish-held airspace.

One of the patterns I remember was night-time flights from Dno, Pskov to Ladoga and back. Sometimes several planes, sometimes single. IIRC mostly Ju 88 but could have been He 111 too. Period of time was IIRC late 1942 - early 1943 but I could well be wrong here and it was fall 1943 instead.

Unfortunately work pressure does not let me delve into the issue now and I will be soon traveling and enjoying my holidays for some four weeks.

Just one idea where to look.

Cheers,
Kari
Old 2nd June 2019, 09:31

Edward L. Hsiao is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Sondergruppe L?

This is one of the mystery units of the Luftwaffe we don't know of and it is not covered in any books or websites of the Luftwaffe! There had to be more Luftwaffe flying units that is not known until many years after WWII!

Edward L. Hsiao