Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th June 2011, 20:47
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road
Hungarian Lampich NL.XXII

Hello All,

According to the site at http://www.airwar.ru/enc/other2/lampichnl22.html
two Lampich NL.XXII HA-VAG and HA-VAH were used by the Hungarian Air Force Flight School (if google's translation is up to scratch anyway!). However, I note that the Lampich NL.XXII is not among the types listed in Sardai,Punka and Kozlik's Hungarian Eagles, which seems comprehensive.

My question is can anyone confirrm whether these two machnies were used by the MKHL and if so did they receive specific military serials rather than their civilian registrations at any time in their carrier?

Regards,

Clint
Old 12th June 2011, 23:03
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Hungarian Lampich NL.XXII

Hi Clint

First of all HA-VAG is a Lampish NL.XXI and not a model NL.XXII.

HA-VAH on the other hand was a NL.XXII

Lampish went to Austria in August 1932 and designed both these types as Technical Director with Wiener Neustädter Flughafen Betriebsges.m.b.H.
Two NL.XXI were built, OE-DNC and OE-DND, and DNC went to Hungary as OE-VAG in 1939.
Three NL.XXII were built , OE-TAW/DNr 436, OE-TBN-DNr 437 and OE-TCN/DNr 438 (one more was built AFTER Anschluss as OE-TAN/DNr 4636). OE-TAW went to Hungary in 1939/1940 as HA-VAH. Not sure if they carried Luftwaffe codes (or German civil reg) in between.

I am rather certain that none of them ended up in the Hungarian Air Force since there is no indication that any of them carried any I.xxx serial number. If they were impressed with their civil registration, no sources mention this and I have across no photos showing this either.
Possibly the web site quoted confuses the Austrian Dienstnummer with a military service in Hungary.

Since Lampish went back to Hungary in 1938/39 (after Anschluss anyway) it is not impossible he wanted these two aircraft with him, but that is just a hypothesis of mine...

Cheers
Stig
Old 13th June 2011, 10:15
Alter Hase

Hello Stig,

Thanks for the reply and the corrections! Certainly, the fact that the site I linked to did not pick up on the fact that HA-VAG was a NL.XXI may speak against the accuracy of the information there and hence whether either machine was used by the MKHL.

However, I believe I would be corrrect in stating that not all aircraft in the I.801 block have as yet been identified. George Punka in Squadron Signals Hungarian Air Force lists this block as 29 enlisted sports aircraft. Among them would be I.814 a Kl.31 and I.829 a Gerle 14. Therefore it may be possible that the two Lampichs are contained in this block, if indeed they were ever used by the MKHL.

Finally, it is possible that there may have been re-use of codes as I have duplicate codes for numbers I.143 and I.144. I have seen I.143 reported as both a DH.60 and a Caudron C.600 and I.144 as both a Polikarpov U-2 and a Bu.131.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Clint
Old 13th June 2011, 13:43
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

The Hungarian designer's name was Árpád Lampich (1898-1956).
He was expulsed of the occupied Austria due to his anti-Nazi stance in the Summer of 1938. He then went to the MWG Works in Győr, where he supervised the licence manufacturing of the Focke-Wulf Fw 58Ka's.

The two mentioned aircraft types are NL XXI/36 and NL XXII/37. During the war, both aircraft were based at Újvidék airfield, in Southern Hungary (today Novi Sad, Serbia). I am not aware if they received military serials, but it's quite possible.
Old 13th June 2011, 15:18
Alter Hase

Hello Denes,

Thanks for the reply.Well the two machines certainly seemed to have survived for some time.Given that Ujvidek was then in Southern Hungary/Vojvodina would I be wrong in assuming that it was unlikely to have been a base for civilian aircraft given the potential partizan threat, or put in another manner was it a purely military airfield?

Regards,

Clint
Old 13th June 2011, 22:59
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Clint/Denes

Ahh, so he was expulsed. That explains why he left Austria so fast. I guess he then left without aircraft but was it a co-incidence two were exported to Hungaria?

I suppose we have to wait and see if any surprises pop up on e-bay or so, to proof their whereabouts during the war.

Cheers
Stig
Old 14th June 2011, 19:18

Tony Jones

Hi Stig/Denes

These a/c became D-EDNC and D-ETAW in 1938, so these not OE- when exported

Regards

Tony
Old 14th June 2011, 20:17

Tony Jones