Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th December 2015, 12:43

Kim Christiansen is on a distinguished road
Smile ww2 Plane in Denmark !!!

Hello All.

I am a scubadiver and we have found a plane in the Northern part of Denmark's east coast. I am looking for information of this crash, i can not find anything of this crash in this area. Please see enclosed photos, maybe some of you can recognize the type of the plane ???

http://www.danas-have.dk/He219.htm
Old 5th December 2015, 14:35

Harrie is on a distinguished road
Re: ww2 Plane in Denmark !!!

Hi Kim

My opinion a Me-110 , no small ammo 7.92mm on Me-109 .
But im not an expert
The beluftungsventil is same as photo below this is from a Me 110

Last edited by Harrie; 16th December 2019 at 17:34.
Old 5th December 2015, 16:37
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road

MG17 was 7.92...and the Me109 E thru G4 was armed with that.

Mike
Old 5th December 2015, 18:55

Mr Schmitt is on a distinguished road

Hi,

You would need to show more pictures of any other recovered parts. The Schmierstoff fuel filler cap is on many Luftwaffe Aircraft. The dates on the bullets ie 37, 38 39 etc, try and look and see what is latest number. This will possibly give "approximate" year when it last flew. If you find MG17's post what number are stamped into them. This again will give a year. The Piston sleeve does not have the familiar screw and castle nut at the lower edge where it fits into the block, you can see where the broken con rod is sticking out, as this would help to ID it as DB601/605 etc.

Kind Regards
Old 6th December 2015, 21:31

Smile Re: ww2 Plane in Denmark !!!

Hi all

Thanks for your input, I will try to find more parts of the plane, we will start diving again in the spring.

On my photo I can see a mark on the The Schmierstoff fuel filler cap, on right and the left side, is there somebody who knows what it means.

Sincerely
Kim Christiansen

Old 7th December 2015, 04:17
Alter Hase

those are just makers marks and inspection stamps.

Mike
Old 7th December 2015, 19:55

Smile Re: ww2 Plane in Denmark !!!

Hi all

Here are some more photos from the dive.

I hope this can help.

Best regards
Kim C

Old 7th December 2015, 22:11

Latest date as can be seen on the bullets seem to be 39, so this aircraft was possibly lost in 1939 or just after, possibly 1940. Quite a needle in a haystack so far!

Can you find any large steel components? Usually the aluminium acts as a sacrificial anode in seawater and therefore the steel usually survives well. Stamps are often found after a good clean.

Not familiar with the valve top with threaded end. Definitely not DB601 or DB605. This is looking to be something possibly along the Argus Engine style??

Well done and Good luck
Old 8th December 2015, 01:47
Alter Hase

Valve is not DB...so not 601 or 605.

It is also not Jumo 211

Rules out Me109, Me110, Ju87, Ju88...and related aircraft.

Looks BMW to me.

Early Fw190...Do217?

Mike
Old 8th December 2015, 12:37

I ruled the BMW801 out due to the piston sleeve looking very different to the one in your photo to a BMW801 Engine. The BMW801 Piston sleeve is different as far as I can see to yours (due to all the crustaceans attached to it), as the lower 2/3 of the outer sleeve of a BMW 801 has steel cooling fins on the outside as part of the sleeve and a flange to the lower edge with a circular ring of holes, for the piston sleeve to be bolted to the main engine block and this is a very thick flange. I can now confirm though that one of the valves "is" similar as in your photo. The BMW 801 has two different types of valve for the inlet and outlet. One is concave and one is convex in shape at the end facing the piston top. Each of the valve stems is the same though.

I am surprised that the steel sleeve isn't in better condition, as BMW801 cylinder heads have an aluminium top casting with cooling fins cast into them and in seawater aluminium acts as a sacrificial anode and helps preserve steel. Also if this has corroded away the next item to corrode away would be the aluminium cylinder head. Being a diver I guess you are familiar with electrolytic corrosion. I realise 70/80 years in seawater is tough on steel and aluminium, even after 70 years engines and propeller bosses are still being pulled out of the English channel, very holey, but still recognisable and retaining aluminium props and blocks/heads.

If it is possible to clean the crustaceans off the piston sleeve, then this may show parts of possibly rotted cooling fins and or maybe parts or some of the large flange at lower edge.
If so then we can say it is very likely a BMW801.