Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th January 2007, 09:31

atckyrre is an unknown quantity at this point
KG100 He177 recce flights from Ålborg via Stavanger?

Sirs,

II./KG100 was station at Aalborg West from the spring of '44 until they were disbanded as a flying unit less than a year later.
According to my references they flew reconnaisance flights over the North sea and this leads me to the question if it was common for them to use Stavanger or Forus as "stepping stone" for refueling before proceeding out to the west and north.
It would be the obvious choice but I have not seen any references describing how these missions actually were accomplished.

Regards,
Kyrre
Stavanger, Norway.
Old 28th January 2007, 10:12
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough
Re: KG100 He177 recce flights from Ålborg via Stavanger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atckyrre View Post
Sirs,

II./KG100 was station at Aalborg West from the spring of '44 until they were disbanded as a flying unit less than a year later.
According to my references they flew reconnaisance flights over the North sea and this leads me to the question if it was common for them to use Stavanger or Forus as "stepping stone" for refueling before proceeding out to the west and north.
It would be the obvious choice but I have not seen any references describing how these missions actually were accomplished.

Regards,
Kyrre
Stavanger, Norway.
I do have a lot of information on this unit, but absolutely no reference as to recceflights, undertaken from Aalborg!!! What are your sources as to these supposed recceflights???

Junker, Denmark
Old 28th January 2007, 10:45

atckyrre is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: KG100 He177 recce flights from Ålborg via Stavanger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju55dk View Post
I do have a lot of information on this unit, but absolutely no reference as to recceflights, undertaken from Aalborg!!! What are your sources as to these supposed recceflights???

Junker, Denmark
Hmm.. you got me thinking there, Junker. These ops came to my attention when I was reading up on the He177 that went to Gardermoen in '44.
I've just gone through my books and to be honest it turns out my only reference is a caption in the book "German Elite Pathfinders, KG100 in Action" by Manfred Griehl.
Page 68 regarding a picture of a He177 with unusually large meandering wellenmüster-stripes:
"The He 177A-5 (serial number 550135) shown here at Aalborg belongs to II Gruppe. The photograph was taken at the time of the OKL order to dismantle all heavy bombers of II/KG 100. A few of the aircraft belonging to KG 100 continued to be operated for weather reconnaissance missions over the North Atlantic and the Arctic Ocean because the skilled crews could fulfil the demands of long-range missions in all weathers."

Admittedly I left out the word "weather" in my original query but it is interesting that Griehl is so specific about these missions. Have you heard about any Heinkels continuing operations at all?