Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 1st March 2007, 20:12

Yves Marino
Corsica Bombing Raids

In the early morning of May 13-th 1944 Luftwaffe-airplanes bomb two Corsica airfields: Poretta and Alesan. According to the following article:
http://www.budslawncare.com/57/index7.htm
several German Bombers and Jabos were used. Does anybody know any detailed sources (in German and/or in English language) about the Luftwaffe-units, planes (type, quantity) and pilots taking part in this operation?
Old 2nd March 2007, 00:13
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Corsica Bombing Raids

Advertising my own work, you will find aircraft numbers, types and units in:

Kampfflieger, Bombers of the Luftwaffe: Volume Four, Summer 1943–June 1945 (Classic Publications, Shepperton, 2005) ISBN 1 903223 50 4

Also, there is supplementary material on my website about these raids (and many other things in the book).

Joseph Heller's great novel Catch-22 contains an episode which I believe is based on these attacks (Heller was serving with a Bomb Group in Corsica in 1944).
Old 2nd March 2007, 03:03

Yves Marino
Re: Corsica Bombing Raids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
Advertising my own work, you will find aircraft numbers, types and units in:

Kampfflieger, Bombers of the Luftwaffe: Volume Four, Summer 1943–June 1945 (Classic Publications, Shepperton, 2005) ISBN 1 903223 50 4

Also, there is supplementary material on my website about these raids (and many other things in the book).

Joseph Heller's great novel Catch-22 contains an episode which I believe is based on these attacks (Heller was serving with a Bomb Group in Corsica in 1944).
Thanks Nick! I don't have your book, but I'll look around.

(Heller served as a bombardier with 488. BS, 340. BG. The episode in the novel (and in the film - both are my favourites), where Milo Minderbinder bombs his own airbase because of his "international business" is probably based on the real bombing on May 13-th, but dramatically changed and the autor never confirmed this. By the way, there is a very good essay by Michael C. Scoggins about Joseph Heller's combat experiences in Catch-22.)