Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 24th August 2007, 18:01

RolandF is on a distinguished road
Info about Me 262A-2a, W.Nr.110836

Can somebody give me additional info - esp. about the original markings of Me 262A-2a W.Nr.110836 "Black L", formerly from I./KG 51, captured intact belonging to JV 44. Numbered "777" of "Watson´s Whizzers", named "Doris", afterwards "Jabo Bait", ferried to the US and registrated as FE-110.

I´m particularly interested in the colour of nose and fin tip and the position of letter "L" on the port side ( + L or L +)

Any additional info about camouflage and final fate would be helpful, too.

Thanks in advance

Roland
Old 25th August 2007, 18:57

Peter D Evans is on a distinguished road
Re: Info about Me 262A-2a, W.Nr.110836

Hi Roland...

To paraphrase from the excellent "Me262, The Production Log 1941-45" by Dan O'Connell [Classic, 2005]:
  • Accepted 14th March 1945
  • Delivered to I./KG51 as "Black L" and transferred for use by JV44 shortly before 26 April
  • Attached to Gefechtsverband Hogeback on 30th April & coded 9K+LK
  • Surrendered to US forces at Munchen-Riem on 8th May
  • Transferred to Lechfeld & taken over by 54th ADS
  • Nicknamed "Doris", "Jabo Bait" & "777"
  • Arrived at Freeman Field 28th September & allocated FE-110 and later T2-110
  • After evaluation scrapped at Boling Field, Washington
Colour photos of this Me262 when captured indicate that its upper surfaces were painted in late-war scheme of RLM 81 & 82...

Cheers

Peter D Evans
LEMB Administrator
Old 25th August 2007, 23:10

Thanks Peter for confirming the complete code 9K + LK with "L" in black - this puts this 262 into direct relationship to 9K + XK captured at Fassberg and still in its original markings in Australia.

Having two profiles to choose from (black "L", black fin tip and black nose - red "L", red fin tip and red nose) it seems like a mixture of those two proposals should be correct with the code "L +" at the port side (like black "X"). The only photo known to me does not show the complete code with the 9K Geschwaderkennung.

As far as I can remember it has been Hauptmann Rudolf Abrahamczik who flew in "black L" from Saaz (Zatec). Or was it Leutnant Häffner who couldn´t retract the undercarriage during the flight?

It seems more probable to me that Watson used an undamaged 262 for the ferry flight to Melun - any opinions or info?

Thanks in advance

Roland
Old 25th August 2007, 23:53

Peter D Evans is on a distinguished road

Hi again Roland...

Smith & Creek's "Me262, Volume 4" includes two colour profiles of WNr.110836. The first is coded black +L with a black nose, black fin tip and small black L on the nose-wheel undercarriage door. The second profile depicts it after transfer to Watson's Whizzers and shows it with a red nose, blue star'n'bar and 777 in small white lettering under the elevator...

"Me262, The Production Log 1941-45" says that 9K+LK was flown by Hptm.Rudolf Abrahamczik of 2./KG51 from Saaz to Munchen-Riem and there is no mention of undercarriage retraction difficulties. Once surrendered "777" was used by Lt.William V Haynes and I would guess that it was he who transferred her to Cherbourg. According to "War Prizes", once in the US, Col Watson was to fly her on 29th Sept 1945 during a display for the Institute of Aeronautical Sciences at Freeman Field.

Cheers

Peter D Evans
LEMB Administrator
Old 26th August 2007, 07:27

pstrany

I'll throw in here that many of Watson's aircraft were given a red nose, red tip to the fin and red windscreen framing sometime after capture. I've never heard a good reason for this, except that perhaps someone thought this looked really cool......

Paul
Old 26th August 2007, 12:04

Thanks again for all your information

First now it is clear to me how "Black L" is supposed to look like and
Second I know now which books I have to set on my wishlist.

And concerning US colouring of captured axis planes I´ve seen paint schemes compared to those the Doras from JV´s Papageienstaffel look as boring as the phonebook of Vladivostok...

Cheers

Roland